Dell 17r N7720 SE - user review

Discussion in 'Dell' started by c_man, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c_man

c_man Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can't say. FRAPS does not like me very much. But with the first setting I have posted, I've done the game 'till the earhquake and all was smooth and OK.

For ultra 1920x1080 ultra 4x MSAA 16xAF notebookcheck.net gives 14fps. Since I am quite far from those settings, game plays fine.

2. KSMB

KSMB Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    MSAA (or AA) is the "feature" who eats frames per seconds mostly.

I cant nearly wait to try BF3 on this PC. i think its gonna kicks after been testning other drivers, erasing bloatware and turning off unnecceray programs who runs in the background.

If you can. Please video record a clip while playing BF3 in 1080p and upload it on youtube

It doesnt need a fancy video cam. A simple iphone 4s or a samsung Galaxy s2 records in great quality

3. c_man

Reputations:
    I was considering doing it with fraps, but it doesn't work.

My biggest problem is the fact that something keeps blocking the card at 745Mhz. I need to find the source. There is no OC and temp does not go above 80°C. With burn in it will hit 90 and there are no site effects other that a reduced speed to 790Mhz.

So it must be a software bug.

4. sirbeta

sirbeta Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for confirming. It's kind of surprising, I had expected more reliability from Intel USB 3.0.

5. c_man

Reputations:
    It is strange, I had no problem with Linux. Maybe it's something with W7.

6. KSMB

KSMB Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    1. Have you done a clean install of windows?
    2. Which gpu driver are you using?
    3. Also remember that the gpu sometimes not reach "state" 3D ( what we call it here). With that i mean that sometimes the gpu stays in state 2 (half 3D)

State1: 2d
    State2: half 3d
    State3: 3d means full clock of the card and uses nearly allways in hardcore 3d applications such as ex, bf3.

Ps. How much do you get i 3dmark vantage?? Are you far away from regular scores. If not i should not be worried

7. Androyed

Androyed Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    C_man, if you could make a video, that would be great!

How is the fan noise during gaming by the way? And the HDD? Probably not noticeable when turning those lovely Skullcandy speakers on. But how is the fan/HDD noise when just surfing the web? And how is the fan/HDD noise when playing games like BF3 without sound?

Thanks in advance!

8. KSMB

KSMB Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  9. Niblet

Niblet Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    One thing I've noticed about the 7720 is just how effective the cooling is. The fan is relatively quiet, yet can take the GPU temperature down from 85 to below 50 in only a few seconds if the optimus kicks in, eg by alt-tabbing out of a game. It seems to emit a huge amount of air out the side vent, which may suggest a rather large (and hence quiet & effective) fan.

10. KSMB

KSMB Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well the fan is one thing. The more important thing is the heatpipe the gpu feature. Nvidia have allways use excellent heatpipes on their high end cards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.