Dell 17r N7720 SE - user review

Discussion in 'Dell' started by c_man, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guthy

Guthy Newbie

Reputations:
    Thread resurrection! well not quite I guess. Anybody who still reads this had any joy with USB3 Gigabit Ethernet adapters on this laptop. I've tried a couple now and they both default to 100Mbit under network settings and then lockup if you force them to into Gigabit mode. So far as I can tell this Laptop USB 3 installation has a real issue with non storage connections.

2. Quicklite

Quicklite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thinking of something more portable.
    What's the difference going from 7720 with i7-3630qm, 8GB, 17" 1080p screen, 256GB Samsung 840 Pro & 650M, builtin 2.1 Speakers, to a base level Retina Macbook Pro 13 (2015)?

3. bladteth

bladteth Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    No idea about external network adapters, but it appears (at least in my 7720) that USB 3.0 ports are underpowered. External HDD enclosure worked absolutely fine with my old Vostro and wife's Latitude on a single USB cable. Every time I try to connect that enclosure to my 7720, the HDD attempts to spin up several times with no joy. Once it does, which is rare, the drive works fine. However, when connected via Y cable (using 2 USB ports) external HDD spins up instantly. I'm unable to measure maximum current 7720's ports provide, but it looks like they are limited.

4. Jason Novak

Jason Novak Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is the USB 3.0 ethernet adapter I use: Tek Republic TUN-300. I don't use it a ton - just for large file copies, but no issues. $20 at newegg, well reviewed.

I picked up the 9cell battery recently - the fact it tilts the laptop up (don't like flat keyboards) instead of sticking out the back is a nice feature, the warning beep/stop about an unknown battery is a little annoying. Anyone know a way around it - does the unlocked bios left you do anything with it?

5. jakub1302

jakub1302 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have installed Windows 10 insider preview - the battery beeping and annoying announcements are gone. But the best feature is - the sound! I don´t know what they did but the driver seem very good. Sub is working properly, the sound is improved drastically. Anyone else who tried let me know what are your thoughts :)

6. Melkor03

Melkor03 Newbie

Reputations:
  7. SAiLO

SAiLO Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  8. Melkor03

Melkor03 Newbie

Reputations:
  9. lordbaldric

lordbaldric Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  10. SAiLO

SAiLO Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have now sold my 7720 17r. Hope to chat to you all in MSI GT72 forum ;)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.