Dell 17r N7720 SE - user review

Discussion in 'Dell' started by c_man, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lancorp

lancorp Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not really "dead", just not much activity. Too bad, because of all the Dell laptops I've had in the past (which is most of them), the 17R SE is/was the best value/performance 17" (or 15" with the 15R SE) around. Lots of drive expansion, great looking display, fast Core i7, and with discrete video, makes a great gaming notebook.
    Pick up a good deal at the Outlet and you've really scored!

FYI, with regards to the 9-cell battery above, I wound up buying one from BAYVALLEYPARTS on ebay for $28.99. It works great (so far). I know these cheap batteries are like light bulbs--they work great one day and burn out the next without notice, but I really like how it raises the back. Might buy another just to have on hand. For $29 shipped, it's a great deal.

2. bladteth

bladteth Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    After 2.5 years of use I decided to tear my 7720 apart, clean it and replace thermal paste with Arctic MX2. What a difference! Temperatures dropped by 8 - 10 degrees C. Now even Furmark with GPU overclocked to 970 MHz does not manage to overheat it. On standard clocks the temperatures settle at around 78C (GPU) and 66C (CPU) when hammered with 100% load in Furmark. Overclocked to 970MHz they reach 84C and 68C respectively and stay there. Interestingly, on original paste after 6 minutes of 100% load on the CPU the temperatures varied from 78C to 87C depending on the core (and were still rising). On Arctic all cores heat up the same and settle at 76C. No more auto downclocking due to heat issues. Temperatures in games are 8 - 10C lower. While the laptop was open I slipped some folded pieces of paper beneath the keyboard, which now feels stiffer and offers better feedback. Great!

3. SAiLO

SAiLO Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Great work!
    Was it difficult?

4. bladteth

bladteth Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Not really. I found this video very useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ9gQvtsSrg

The only difference is the final step. There are two heatsinks/heatpipes instead of one due to dedicated GPU.

SAiLO likes this.
  5. tomas87

tomas87 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    can you guys post your overclocked GPU core and memory settings ? And whitch software did you use it for oc ?
    I use nvidia inspector, and overclocking P(0) state : core +135MHz to 880MHz so with boost its 970MHz
    when i tried to oc memory for more then 150MHz i got blackscreen in idle mode at low temperatures
    The difference (boost) in games is minimal.

Second question. Is there any trick to increase fps in games when i play in windowed mode? Example, in fullscreen i got like 100fps, and when i switch to windowed mode it auto drops to 50-60fps (already got aero off and also tried to set real time CPU priority for the game).

6. Quicklite

Quicklite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looking at the 9 cell battery on Amazon - anyone got idea how long they system could run on 9 cell?

7. njetski

njetski Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for your report. I will definitely try that. I have been looking for ways to cool down the temp in idle mode as it slowly reaches 60-65C before the fan kicks in. At 50C the fan stops, but kicks in again at 60-65C, and so on. I would gladly reduce the multiplier of the CPU but that option is locked. Maybe there is a lot of dust collected by now that I should to get rid of. I'm also thinking of using a passive (fanless) laptop holder which lifts up the rare end a few centimeters - that way, there will be more healthy air circulation in front of the input fan. I prefer to stay away from cooling pads with fans since I prefer a silent environment.

8. njetski

njetski Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I recently replaced the mini-pci wi-fi card with an Intel AC-7260 (rev. 2) and I can now enjoy twice as fast transfer speed on the 5 GHz band. I have not tested the AC feature yet though as I do not have any AC router (I plan to get one in a few months). I have so far not encountered any problems with the network, everything seems stable so far.

However... it no longer can connect with my bluetooth device (Nokia mobile phone). Not sure if I should blame Windows 8.1 for this or the drivers. Nothing important for me though, I can connect via ftp instead.

9. tomas87

tomas87 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My dell 7720 came with 2X 7200rpm hdd and a free msata slot. Is it possible to use for that msata slot regular ssd disk like Intel 530 180GB SSD bulk | Alza.sk ? Will it works like regular partition where i can have windows7 + some games ? Or it is just some speedboost cache ssd slot ?

10. SAiLO

SAiLO Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you install Windows to msata drive you should be able to use it as the system drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.