Dell 17r N7720 SE - user review

Discussion in 'Dell' started by c_man, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quicklite

Quicklite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thinking of warranty upgrade. What would you guys go for?

1 year: 70 GBP
    2 Years: 110 GBP
    3 Years: 145 GBP

2. SAiLO

SAiLO Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have never bothered with warranty extension for my home laptop.

3. Quicklite

Quicklite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thinking that it might be good idea to get warranty extended - the motherboard goes to around 100 degree celsius editing Premier - last time the thermal protection kicked in and shot the system down. Would be a waste of a i7 workstation if the laptop stops working suddenly.

4. KSMB

KSMB Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    extra warranty by DELL is great...i always has extra years....its so cheap considering what you really get if something happens.

i think i have got back this money 3 times already.......1 new motherboard...1 new battery.......only this is more then £300).
    on my my sxps 16....1 new motherboard, 1 new IPS rgbled screen (the original first real 16")

i would take 1 extra year (why....just because i often sell my laptop after ~2 years)

and if you have your laptop more then 2 years you can always buy one year more.

5. MariusRZR

MariusRZR Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, can someone tell me where can i find a hard disk caddy to fit into the SE 7720? I'd like to move one of my hard drives into a caddy and install a seagate SSH for the operating system.

6. SAiLO

Reputations:
    In this case, I'd suggest a desktop pc.
    But if it's not an option then definitely get the extended warranty. :)

7. SAiLO

Reputations:
    The 7720 has got two HDD bays.

8. bladteth

bladteth Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Plenty on eBay, but not exactly cheap. For some reason, bay 1 caddy is different from bay 2. My 7720 came with both caddies, despite being shipped with a single HDD.

9. bladteth

bladteth Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm currently experiencing strange problem with battery. New ones are 48 Wh. After a year and a half of use, the battery in my 7720 is down to 39 Wh (20% wear) according to HW Info. No issues so far. However, the battery status in taskbar says that only "87% is available (plugged in, charging)". The problem is that the meter is stuck and not charging (HW Info reports 0.011 W charge rate, compared to around 14 W when charging properly). I have tried to drain the battery completely and recharge, but it only reduced the number down to 80%. Also, disabling ACPI control in Device Manager, removing and reinstalling the battery (one of the solutions I found online), only changed the status to "plugged in, not charging". Ultimately, HW Info reports that battery capacity is now 31 Wh. Dell's "desktop mode" is disabled in battery options. Any ideas?

10. SAiLO

Reputations:
    After a year an a half battery will be showing signs of wear. Depending on how much you were using it, whether you kept it plugged into the laptop all the time, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.