Dell 17r N7720 SE - user review

Discussion in 'Dell' started by c_man, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. realG

realG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Gotta agree. If you're after performance first and foremost, then the best option is a dedicated SSD disk in one of the HDD bays, with the OS and all software installed on it. This goes hand in hand with installing a clean copy of the OS direct to the ssd. Windows 7 (and I assume 8 as well) does absolutely everything needed in terms of partition offset, performance tweaks etc during the install. I advise you ignore all of the internet "guides" on setting up Windows for solid state, Microsoft has got this nailed perfectly already (just make sure to partition the disk using the windows installer, and run Windows Experience Index after the install, this does additional tweaks based on detecting the actual speed of the disk).

2. dogmar

dogmar Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm in the uk so I had 7 days to return it under the distance selling regulations, there wasn't any fuss. The 3D laptop I got from ebay for about £800.

3. Quicklite

Quicklite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's what I didn't like about mSata caching, review sounds great but imo it is a bit half measure.

Since 17R SE doesn't do RAID 0 - decided to get the fastest single drive, and be done with it. Won't have to look for another SSD for 5 years.

Will receive a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB soon in the post. :D

4. Nigel8600

Nigel8600 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So WOW! I had some time to kill while I am waiting for my 17r 7720 to be made and shipped so I decided to read this entire thread! I just finished it. So, if you take out the typical top 10 questions being asked over and over and over again, this is what I learned from this thread lol.

1. KSMB has a magical 17r.
    A. It stays super cool from his globs of thermal paste he added.
    B. He also has the only 3D model that apparently has Optimus in it, lol.
    C. His Samsung screen is the best thing going for this laptop
    D. He was going to buy a Sager but there has been no updates on that (thank goodness) maybe I need to look over in the sager section. And just to point out, if I ordered a sager and matched it with my bluray burner and 3 yr warranty I would be over $2000 for that model. I think I'll stick with just over $1k cost with the 17r instead.

2. There is a modded bios but no one here is talking about it here and the link to the bios here also does not work. After you wait the 60 seconds to download it I get a chrome cannot find....... Etc,

3. Mcafee needs to be destroyed from the hdd when it arrives. That will be easy cause I plan on doing a fresh install.

4. Everyone here pretty much recommends a SSD in this unit except of course KSMB.

5. I have to hope like hell I don't get a chi mei screen. (No Offence to the few here who like it)

6. Order a win 8 disk from support. They won't help me till I have a tag number and my units still in production.

I think that's about it. My 17r is supposed to be delivered on the 22nd so now I got nothing to do but wait lol. Even my Samsung 840 Pro 256GB that I bought from newegg for only $199 has shown up so I'll be putting that in when it shows up.

5. OC-Freak

OC-Freak Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That pretty much sums it up. :)

But yeah I'm pretty happy with my ChiMei CMN1720 Screen, but as posted earlier I also used another machine with exact same screen which had really terrible backlight bleeding along all 4 edges of the screen. IMO see if you like the screen before you check manufacturer ID ;) If you check manufacturer ID first you might make up your mind about screen quality just based on what others have been writing about that screen model.

6. Nigel8600

Reputations:
    So what am I missing here? Why does it say gaming graphics 4GB?

7. realG

realG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ha ha, well done Nigel, had a good laugh! :)

Yeah, I also got the Chi Mei screen, and I think it's great.. but definitely first check you're happy with it before changing the disk etc.. (apply the icc profile first, changes everything!!) Let us know once you have it and good luck!

8. Rassal

Rassal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a CMN1720... which is the ChiMei screen... and i like it.

I think also that this is the same exact screen that is installed in the Alienware M17X right?

9. Nigel8600

Reputations:
    Yup, you are correct, I did see that, thus my apology to the few of you you that liked it.

That is also very good advice, I will determine screen likability before I look at the model no matter how tempting. :) I think it's going to be a tough sell for either screen considering I'm used to my M18 screen (and I guess the E1705 too. I love that 1920x1200 screen) But man the alienware is just sooooo heavy to be setting up in bed all the time. Its 13 lbs with no power-supply. I want big but light and the 17r looks impressive.

10. Quicklite

Quicklite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Say what? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.