Dell 17r N7720 SE - user review

Discussion in 'Dell' started by c_man, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lemach

Lemach Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you so much! it have been very usefull your response for me.

2. KSMB

KSMB Notebook Deity

Reputations:

first of all.......are you sure its a i5 3220 CPU ???? (Intel do not have any i5 3220...........i3 3220 they have).
    you maybe mean i5 3230 or 3320 ????

1. yes you can. (its simple.....you just need to use right model, which is socket: FCPGA988)

2. there is no special tweaks......you can use nearly all Intel FCPGA988 sockets CPUs. (just beware of if you use extreme edition you need way better cooling)

3. i would EASILY go for a better screen (way easier to upgrade CPU later).
    this screens can you just buy from DELL (and sometimes on Ebay (there you never know if its good or bad)....CPUs can you buy 24/7 on internet......much easier to find.

here how the CPU looks like (when I replaced my thermal paste). its the i7, but same socket.
    img3296q.jpg

3. konfyuz

konfyuz Newbie

Reputations:
    Oopppsss my bad. I didnt even notice that. Its i5-3210m.

Thanks for the infos btw.

Its just that I cant stretch my budget to get the i7 + 1080p config.

Yups Im planning on upgrading to ssd then i7 then lastly display.

I checked DELL UK a few hours ago and it seems there is something fishy on their prices.

Anyway, if only an i7 + 1080p config will show up in Dell Outlet which is under £550 I will buy it in a heartbeat and then return the one I just ordered. =D

4. dogmar

dogmar Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I was wondering if there was anyway to mod the bios or flash the bios from the non 3d version to enable optimus? I dont mind losing the 3d capability as I just dont use it.

I went for the 3D version solely for the screen and its' more natural colour reproduction, which in my opinion it has compared to the matte version (which was sent back)

5. Quicklite

Quicklite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have 2x1TB hard drive - looking for a performance boost. What's better:

£38 for a 32GB Crucial M4 msata. (Use this to accelerate HDD - and still have 2TB)

Or

£128 for 250GB Samsung 840. (swap out 1x1TB hard drive and sell it for about £50)

6. hdease

hdease Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi' question... did u send it back because of the screen or another reason? What type of deal did you make with dell? Price difference, stocking fee, shipping?

7. OC-Freak

OC-Freak Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I do not like the msata caching option, it doesn't benefit every program since not all files are stored on the cache drive. I very much prefer your second option.
    I have 1tb HDD + Crucial m4 SSD in mine. :) SSD for OS and programs, 1TB for music/video/storage.

8. hdease

hdease Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if my 17rSe 3610 1tb (i17rse-2564BK) anti-glare can have the screen switched to the 3D truelife screen or if dell would be likely to give me a reliable answer? How do I find out what otther great screens would be compatable? Thanks

9. KSMB

KSMB Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    the best way is to cache up your regular hard drives....why ???
    first of all you get WAY more space..
    second, you already paid for 2 hard drives....
    third, a PM830 Msata which cache up the Operative system works as fast as a standard SSD......

if you for example take one of the fastest/best SSD (Samsung 840 Pro) which is light years better then a standard SSD.........a 512GB cost around $620-675.......holy smoke !

10. manu72

manu72 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Quicklite if you're looking for a real performance boost then ignore what KSMB is rabmbling - as usual he has no idea what he's talking about - and do what OC-Freak suggested (and others as well) and go for a SSD in bay1 and a HDD in bay2. I have the same setup and I'm perfectly happy

MSATA cache is a compromise and of course the performance is compromised as well. Yes, it is better than a plain hdd, but nothing like a good SSD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.