Dell 17r N7720 SE - user review

Discussion in 'Dell' started by c_man, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. X-dude

X-dude Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you sir! Do you have the 3d model of the inspiron or do you have the non 3d one?

2. Wahlburg

Wahlburg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Correct. Which is strange, since I have the 3D model and it exhibits the bug.

Temporary solution I've found: I use hybrid sleep (set in the BIOS to Immediate - where it suspends to the MSATA SSD drive and powers off completely when doing a Sleep under Windows ) so as soon as my machine sleeps, it hybrid sleeps and completely powers off.

I've found that if I start the machine up (plugged in) and hybrid sleep it (AC power still connected); then I can start up with or without AC Power and keep the boost regardless.

As long as I hybrid sleep from then on, the boost stays in place no matter what until my next proper reboot/shutdown.

I'm not sure if the same would apply for regular sleep.
    This is under Windows 7; no 99% trick or anything else.

3. realG

realG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well the information in the Dell community thread is, as expected, pretty inaccurate.

You can manually overclock the GPU and "lock" the overclocked state. This can be easily done with Nvidia Inspector and the mentioned .bat files.

The bug that Dell has not yet admitted to is the fact that once the GPU downclocks because of thermal issues, it will remain at the default clock until you power off, unplug and replug the adapter, and power back on.

So far, I've only read of this happening when the forced downclock occurs while CPU is running on turbo. Hence the often mentioned 99% CPU trick, where setting the max CPU frequency to 99% effectively disables the CPU turbo mode, and the GPU never gets locked down this way.

From my own experiments, running just the GPU up to 90C using MSI Kombustor does not lock the frequency, the GPU downclocks just to cool itself down and then boosts again, so the CPU state/temperature must somehow be involved in this bug.

4. KSMB

KSMB Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    how exactly do you do this inside bios ???

5. SHASHANK_BEST

SHASHANK_BEST Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is the CPU user replaceable ? Bcoz on the HP dv6 users are reporting that the CPU is user replaceable ..!

6. Rassal

Rassal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes the CPU is user replaceable. Just follow the documentation provided by Dell on how to replace the CPU.

7. SHASHANK_BEST

SHASHANK_BEST Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Wow .. I didn't know that .. So we can replace the CPU with the next gen i7 processors when they gets released ?

8. Goobii

Goobii Newbie

Reputations:
    First of all, HELLO !

(Sorry for my english i'm french...)

I rode all the topic before to buy my inspiron, now i'm on it and i like it !!!! I sold my Macbook Retina for money... :( so, nevermind...

I would like to know if someone could explain how to overclock the GPU... I don't understand somethings explained on the topic... I tried to use Nvidia Inspector but I can't... Terzer, could you explain me the .bat file ? How do it ?

If someone could do a Step by step, I think it will be great ! (CPU 99%, nvidiainspector, restart etc... all that things.) Thanks !

9. MOOGLEYS

MOOGLEYS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have just ordered one of these from the outlet. It seemed a good deal for the spec. What do you guys think ?

10. lazy bum

lazy bum Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I also just ordered one from the outlet. I ended up ordering the model with the anti-glare screen, but I'm of course having second thoughts without being able to see the anti-glare and the Truelife side by side. Anyone else other than KSMB seen the two screens side by side and have any opinion?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.