Dell 1730 Vs Alienware 9750, and some RAM info

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Sequoia225, Aug 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sequoia225

Sequoia225 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I meant to call the title "Dell 1730 Vs Alienware 9750, and some RAM info" BTW....

First of all, interested in this Dell 1730 cause after all, I was deciding between the Dell 1710 and the m9750 I just ordered. Still have a month to change my mind ha ha.
    Any thoughts on this upcoming computer from anyone that knows anything.

2. Thanks Chaz for the PM on memory stuff. It just so happens after asking you those questions, I got my PC Magazine with a great article all about memory.
    Some things it says in relation to a lot of the RAM questions here on this Alienware section and perhaps others.

It says Vista runs fine with 1GB but noticeably more responsive with 2. If youre running 32 bit Vista, you may want 4. Then it goes to say that if you put 4 in a 32 bit Vista, it may see only 3. (as has been said here). It says the system grabs a gigs worth for use by the system bios, i/0 and other functions. it says "the memory is still there, but the addresses are used elsewhere. But it still says going with 4 wouldnt be a waste of money if you can get a good price. It says DDR2 memory is so cheap right now cause everyone anticipated people buying more to upgrade to Vista so theres an abundance of memory and many people arent upgrading so manufacturers are lowering the price even more to sell it off. So it sounds like if thats the memory you are after, its as good of a time as any to buy it. DDR3 memory is quite expensive though in comparison. But that cant go in the 9750 anyway.
    It went into a log of other technical details that was interesting as well.

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Wikipedia is also a great place to look up memory info. :) I have 4GB of RAM installed in my ThinkPad (Vista x32) and I see 3062MB. While I agree that having too much memory isn't a bad thing, it is a waste if you are not using more than you have. 2GB is perfectly fine for Vista in my opinion.

I don't consider the Dell XPS M1730 very comparable to the M9750. It's more comparable to the Sager NP5790, which will most likely blow the Dell away.

3. X-29

X-29 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What makes you say that? If rumors prove true on the M1730 it will have the capability for SLI wich would seem to make it more comparable to the Alienware which is also SLI. Or am I missing something?

4. yang88she

yang88she Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i believe chaz replied before the 1730's manual became available to the public & everyone noticing that it will have the option of SLi...

so in Chaz's defense, since his response was on the 5th, it wasn't known that the 1730 was going to have SLi =D

5. Phritz

Phritz Space Artist

Reputations:
  6. dit_xi

dit_xi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dell 1730 in SLi, where are y'all getting this rumor from? Or is it wishful thinking?

7. amdfanboy

amdfanboy Newbie

Reputations:
    I would probably go with the 9750
    you couldnt go wrong with either though

8. yang88she

yang88she Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  9. dit_xi

dit_xi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So I guess we'll just have to see if two 8700M GT in SLi will be better than one 7950GTX. I hope Dell changes the appearance of the lid. That's one fugly box!

10. ojchillinndc

ojchillinndc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    According to notebookcheck.net & nVidia, 1 7950 is equal to two 7900 GS in SLi. That what made the M1710 get better numbers then the Alienware 9700. Also, the 7950 is way better the the 8700 and I've seen this in person (check the sig).

So the Alienware M9750 with two 7950s and the Dell M1730 with two 8700s is no competition. Alienware wins this round.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.