Delidding my 7700K

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by DukeCLR, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Woohoo, success I believe, my computer did power on with no problems after delid, and temperatures are lower, by a long way.

Before Delid (1hr Prime 95 v26.6, room temperature 19.5 degC):
    B4 Delid (19.5 room temp).jpg
    Temperature after Delid with Liquid Ultra between chip & IHS (1hr Prime 95 v26.6, room temperature 20.5 degC):
    After Delid (20.5 degC).jpg

As you can see, I got a 14 degC drop in CPU Package temperature with the delid, and after accounting for room temperature differences that's a 15 degC temperature difference after delidding! Now, I did blow out some dust from the CPU heatsink using a can of compressed air, so that's gonna make a difference too, but not anywhere near 15 degC difference, I've never had temperatures anywhere near as low as this on this PC.

There is still a large temperature difference between cores, and I was hoping delidding would cure this, because I had been assuming that it was due to uneven pasting/mounting of the IHS on the CPU chip - it looks like that's just the way my 6700K operates: either temperature sensors are skewed on the actual CPU (think I heard that's a thing), or there's some kind of imperfection in the IHS. I thought the original Intel stock paste job looked alright with good contact though( Delidded.jpg ), so I'm not sure. I think the mounting of my CPU cooler (Noctua NH-D14) is ok though, paste looked evenly distributed & consistent thickness when I took it off. So, I think that's just the way my 6700K is, but temperatures are pretty darn good now I think. Is a 53degC CPU Package temperature good for a 96W load (taken from my HWInfo Sensor reading pic above)?

Temperatures while web browsing aren't bad either!:
    temperatures while web browsing.jpg

@Papusan , I'll install Aida64 & test that tomorrow (or later today), which you were interested in.

EDIT: just over 1hr of Titanfall 2 gaming, and CPU temperatures in the 30's, that's pretty good!
    1hr Titanfall 2 gaming CPU temps after delid (21degC room).jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    DukeCLR likes this.
  2. solat152

solat152 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Congrats

DukeCLR and Robbo99999 like this.
  3. DukeCLR

DukeCLR Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice job.

Robbo99999 likes this.
  4. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Thanks, I'm pretty pleased with the results!

@Papusan , just finished running the Aida64 stress tests you were curious about. 15min run for each. 21 degC room temperature. System already heat soaked.
    Aida64 FPU stress test
    Aida64 FPU stress 15min (21.1 degC).jpg

CPU Package temperatures in 50's

Aida64 CPU-FPU-Cache-Mem Stress Test
    Aida64 CPU_FPU_Cache_Mem Stress (21.1degC room).jpg

CPU Package temperatures in 40's

Interestingly, it looks like the temperature difference between the cores is evening up a bit more, which is good. Is there any curing time or bedding in associated with Liquid Ultra Delids?

5. solat152

solat152 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have no idea. I used thermal grizzly LM. Right off the bat I only had a 3 degree difference in core 2 compared to the rest of them. I7 7700k though.

jaug1337 and Robbo99999 like this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Thanks. Welcome to the Liquid metal club:vbthumbsup: On time!! Prep your IHS will most likely fix a bit more of the core differences.

First... Interesting seeing Aida64 stress FPU give about same Cpu package Power as Prime95 v26.6 Actually 5w higher. Second...There shouldn't be a difference in evening core temp after some use with liquid metal on die(maybe the thermal paste between die-IHS do this for you). Normally same results from the beginning.

7. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    I think I read during my research on the Coollaboratory website that there was a 48hour window after application during which time the liquid metal takes on a firmer viscosity. If that's the case, and I'm slowly starting to see my core temperatures even up a bit, then perhaps I should run some torture tests on the CPU before that 48hr window up - to aid in the bedding in of everything?

8. Papusan

Reputations:
    You could try, but I haven't seen the big difference with my use of it. Prep the IHS will probably make a bigger difference. Have you seen the same suggestions for Phobya or Grizzly Conductonaut? Website?

Robbo99999 likes this.
  9. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    About the bit in bold typeface that I put in your post, so you do think there's a possibility it might cure up with time to even out the temperatures on the cores? I'm gonna run some of the latest Prime on my CPU before the liquid metal 'sets', hopefully that can kick it into action and even up the core temperatures a bit.

EDIT: just seen your reply, thanks.

Papusan likes this.
  10. Papusan

Reputations:
    You could as well ask and get more answers in the Silicon Lottery thread:vbthumbsup: