Delidding my 7700K

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by DukeCLR, Apr 26, 2017.

1. DukeCLR

DukeCLR Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you would have told me I was going to be doing this a month ago I would have though you were crazy but here I am with Liquid metal and a delidding kit.

reliddingsmall.jpg

I plan on following this video.

After reading a bit I'm going to do two things different.
    1. I don't wan to use superglue.
    2. I'm only going to put LM on the CPU and rub off the extra from the brush on the heat sink.

I was thinking of leaving some of the old glue on and softening with some alcohol hoping that it would re stick. I read where someone just put it back on and it re stuck itself without the alcohol.

Any thoughts?

@bloodhawk @Talon @Galm

Robbo99999, Aroc and Atma like this.
  2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    As long as your careful it should be doable.

I would guess the user with the most delids is @woodzstack so maybe he would have some advice.

DukeCLR and woodzstack like this.
  3. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Sweet.
    Do not use super glue. It's a pain to remove later on. Just in case.

All my delidded processors , and the ones I did for my friends are floating ( not stuck back) .
    The socket clamp applies more than enough pressure to hold everything in place , even during travel. Just put some electric tape / kapton tape/ nail polish, on the exposed contacts around the die. Just as a precaution.

Also remove every single bit of the old glue, it will cause uneveness and might prevent the die from making proper contact.

As for CLU on the CPU , its always good practice to use as little as possible and never too much. You can always add more, but removing is much more of a hassle.

Also there is a difference between mainstream delids in bulk and person delids. With the former you want to glue it down to avoid someone else messing things up. With a person delid, you can leave it un glued for future options. Like an after market IHS (Something me and a bunch of others have just started using - http://imgur.com/a/36Ger). Also maybe in the future if you want to change from CLU to a better Liquid Metal TIM, things will be much easier.

I carry my floating IHS DM1 to work and back almost 2-3 times a week on the metro, and it never had a single problem, obviously to be perfectly safe (and since i prefer Conductonaut over CLU) im using traditional paste on the IHS and LM only on the die.

End of the day, please be careful and take your time.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Papusan and Atma like this.
  4. woodzstack

woodzstack Company Representative

Reputations:
    I literally have a delid hour everyday... I grab a tea and get to my office and delidd under the spot lights...

I always dab a weak glue or some super glue on a corner or two... or where the previous glue was, after removing it, it won;t stick tightly, and can easily be removed, in cases where I relid permanently I use an epoxy.

if this is your first time, make sure to observe the behaviour of the liquid metal afetr it's heated up or after being squished by the IHS once back in contact. If you put too much, it will splat out everywhere and roll all over the place like a hot pocket on a skating rink... (sorry I'm Canadian..)

Papusan, Galm, DukeCLR and 1 other person like this.
  5. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    Not very good to use Epoxy or Super glue , unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure that you wont take it apart ever again. Both of them easily come off of the IHS, but they stick to the PCB real hard. Speaking from personal experience.
    It was so hard to scrub it off, not to mention risky, i had to sand the glue off until it the PCB was flat.

Papusan likes this.
  6. woodzstack

Reputations:
    super glue is molecularly very small and seaps into things. I wouldn't recommend it either. I use it on the glue thats already there a tiny bit, because it won't spread much and thats where it would hold well, but I remove the glue from the IHS always too.

DukeCLR likes this.
  7. DukeCLR

DukeCLR Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's my first time using CLM and de lidding. I was able to remove the IHS easily, it popped off. I removed all the old glue, taped off the areas and applied a small amount, it wasn't very smooth though, on either of the parts, I'm almost worried I didn't put enough. I applied a small amount gasket material to the IHS and put it back in the base and screwed the relidding tool on. Tonight ti should be dry enough to install and we shall see how it goes.

This is what I used.
    gluesmall.jpg

Atma likes this.
  8. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    You can just place it in the socket after a couple of hours. It will easily dry inside the socket it self.
    And i have used this one in the past -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002UEN1U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also if you do decide it place it in early, just make sure it doesn't slide around, hold with your finger while clamping down.

Papusan, Atma and DukeCLR like this.
  9. woodzstack

Reputations:
    knoww hat would be easy to clean and stick okay - contact cement

DukeCLR likes this.
  10. Tony Palmer

Tony Palmer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Where did you get these? I would like one. I used CLU inside my chip and outside as its not as viscous as other Liquid metals, Will open again in a few days and see if any of it leaking/spreading around. Still annoyed with my wonky heatsink

DukeCLR likes this.