Delidding 6700k

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Tony Palmer, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Tony Palmer

Tony Palmer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You guys are really worrying me now. My paste job was so thin it barely covered the dies and basically didn't even get fully to the edge. Any excess metal I brushed onto the copper heatsink. Barely had enough to be honest but I'm now worried cos I used it on the CPU and GPU. I did it Sunday and have been using it without issue but I'm worried and very tempted to open it and remove the LM and put GC extreme back in.

2. Tony Palmer

Reputations:
    Both my chips looked like this if not a thinner application. It was literally brushing away if I tried to spread it any more.

3. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    If its super thin, then you should be ok. Did you cover the surrounding areas?

Papusan and Tony Palmer like this.
  4. Tony Palmer

Reputations:
    During the application I used electrical tape around both chips. There were no blobs of excess or run off so I removed the tape. I'm seriously regretting that now. As I said earlier I'm torn between waiting for my Rockit tool and delidding and then reapplying all the LM but leaving the tape as an extra cautionary measure. Or just opening it up and removing it for GC extreme until the tool arrives. I chose CLU over CL pro and conductonaut because people said it was less viscous and less prone to running off the chips themselves. Laptop is running great atm low 30's browsinh and watching movies. Not getting above 80degrees on benchmark. I'm undervolted and core is set to 4ghz. GPU is running hotter as standard but under load cooler which is strange. Figured it was just pascal chips in general

bloodhawk likes this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Or put it the other way... Open up, don't touch liquid metal but put on tape. Then you can see how your application was, and same time get peace of mind.

TBoneSan, Tony Palmer and bloodhawk like this.
  6. Adbear

Adbear Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As long as you don't overpaste it should be fine. I've been running mine for months with LM on both the CPU and GPU and not had any issues, and my system gets moved from home to work and various other places every day and I don't have any tape around the areas to keep the LM in. As long as you don't use too much it's not really possible for it to 'flow' out as there's nothing left to flow out

TBoneSan and Tony Palmer like this.
  7. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Till the time there isnt excess and you dont throw your laptopn onto the bed like i did, you should be good :p
    But next time you open it up, tape the surrounding it areas.

Papusan and Tony Palmer like this.
  8. Tony Palmer

Reputations:
    Yeah thanks guys I'll do that when I get some time I'll open up check for leakage and if it looks OK tape the area back up for peace of mind. I'll be taking lots of pictures when I do the delid and repastes so I'll be looking to you guys for advice and support. Scored a 17500 on firestrike after applying LM so I really do believe in its use over thermal paste. For my delid will LM on the inside need taping up around the chip? I plan on using so little that it barely covers the chip anyway and a small amount on the inside of the IHS hoping they go back together and make a better connection tbh.

9. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    upload_2017-4-7_7-30-17.png

TBoneSan likes this.
  10. Tony Palmer

Reputations:
    Just that spot needs protection? a little square of tape sufficient?