Delidding 6700k

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Tony Palmer, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Tony Palmer

Tony Palmer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I've decided to delid my cpu. I've order CLU and I'm looking for some information about resealing the IHS on the chip. Delid tools are not available in UK at the moment so I'll be very carefully using a sharp slim blade. I'm confident about the CLU just don't want to buy/use something to seal it that may cause damage

2. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

John@OBSIDIAN-PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I already damaged one CPU using a blade, i would recommend getting a TOOL.
    The 6700K will shine if you make sure your cooler is making proper contact.
    A modded cooler might be needed to fix the contact issue.

3. Tony Palmer

Reputations:
    Genuinely have no access to delidding tools not for sale anywhere online that I've seen. I was just going to test using CLU without delid. I've got good contact from heatsink. What do you mean by a modded cooler?

4. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Even though personally i have done the blade delid a bunch of times, i wouldnt really recommend it. Try checking ebay , or the Rockit delid tool website, if they will ship internationally from the US. You might be able to order one from the Caseking.de as well.

By modded cooled im assuming he, means a Notepal U3 with 120/140mm fans.

TomJGX likes this.
  5. Tony Palmer

Reputations:
    aside from one in the uk for sale they aren't available it seems? I am confident not to damage the chip itself i worry more about the substance used to reseal the IHS.

As for modded coolers I think that's a little out of my wheelhouse. My p775dm3 is my personal laptop mainly used on my knee. So custom coolers with wires etc aren't viable.

6. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I tried a blade for about 2 seconds then realised the pressure required meant the risk was ridiculous. I've seen dead delids from the tiniest nick on the pcb and I can totally understand why. I would not do it with a blade.

The 3D printed tool - if it's made properly (PLA with >40% infill but don't quote me) worked fine for me and was $20 inc local post here on Oz Ebay compared with >$50pp for either the rockit or diemate tools

I didn't bother resealing mine, the adhesive was hard and cracked nicely, I didn't clean it off, it held the IHS snug when I put the lid back on, it must have been squashed back together and restuck to itself - when I recently checked the LM under the lid after a couple months I had to use the tool again!

I don't think you need to reseal really. The socket puts huge pressure on the sides of the IHS, the only potential for movement would be as you slide the socket closed, and any movement is easily seen as you do that.

The argument about resticking the IHS to prevent a spill is a moot point, you shouldn't be using that much LM in the first place, and Intel must have left a gap in the adhesive for good reason (i.e. they didn't think it was a good idea to bead the adhesive all the way around), and on our laptops where the CPU is mounted on the underside of the mobo, gravity would have LM spill 'downwards' into the IHS not upwards into the socket.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    TBoneSan likes this.
  7. Tony Palmer

Reputations:
    Really limits my options then the actual maker of the delid tools is shut down atm none of the sellers have stock. The one in the UK on eBay wants £40 for the set he has used. I don't think using liquid metal on the IHS outside will make much difference from the paste currently on. I also need to replace the awful thermal pads thrown in that are way too thick and poorly positioned.

8. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    The trick is to use the really thin double sided shaving blades. Just put some masking take on the other hand, to prevent cutting into your own fingers.
    And keep it as flat as possible, the moment you see bends on the edge, change the blade.

They cut through the glue like butter.

Tony Palmer likes this.
  9. Tony Palmer

Reputations:
    Yeah my thoughts were how could the sealant be? Any tips for the pasting itself? Saw people leaving electrical tape around their chips when using liquid metal? Also is it worth coating the inside of the IHS where it makes contact with the chip to improve conductivity? Would the tape long term cause a problem with it being insulating tape? Really need to swap out the pads also think they're causing worse heatsink connection due to being cheap the wrong thickness an in the wrong place

10. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    I use this -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002UEN1U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it not needed to seal the IHS back on, the socket latch holds it down easily and well. Both my 6700k and 7700k arent sealed.
    Also if you want to be really really careful, then use some electrical tape to cover up the surrounding contacts on the PCB. Not quite needed unless you use a lot of CLU/Conductonaut and are paranoid/want to be super careful.
    It is always good to super thin layer on the inside of the IHS to make sure the contact works well, i just use the residue on whatever applicator im using.
    Thing with using Silicone based sealants is that there is a chance, you might use too much and end up causing a gap.

As for the pads, then yes, it helps to keep them at the minimum possible thickness to make sure the contact is even.

Papusan likes this.
  11. Tony Palmer

Reputations:
    Ah that's a great idea just a super thin coating of whatever excess on the inside will be enough. I've used sealant plenty of times before I'd be confident about resealing the IHS but if you're confident about it being left unsealed not causing issues then I would do that. As said earlier I'd not be surprised if the original sealant unattached under the pressure of being clamped back in. Would you recommend the tape only for during liquid metal application or would it be ok left on? I think I'm going to order some good quality 1mm and 0.5mm pads as the ones on now are so smashed up they're clearly the wrong thickness. Wouldn't mind an ideal layout for the p775dm3 heat pads if one was available

12. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    Leaving the tape on will depend on how you are applying the tape for and how you are applying it.

As for the thermal pad thickness, i really dont know what thicknesses are used in the P775DM3. I think @iunlock , has one and would know more.

iunlock and Tony Palmer like this.