Degraded RAID 5, SanDisk 240GB SSD X3, Sager NP9280, Clevo D900F

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by KY_BULLET, Sep 19, 2017.

1. KY_BULLET

KY_BULLET Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have 3/320 GB sata Hdd@7200 RPM in a raid 5 parity and one of my drives is now degraded after 8 years so I can't complain.

Intel Matrix storage manager says volume "0" is the degraded volume. Does anyone know exactly which HDD this is so I don't have to systematically unplug each one?

There's one to the left and 2 stacked on top of each other.

Thanks,
    Charlie

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The pair of disks is 0 and 1, as to the order *shrug*

3. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    The RAID menu lists the drives' serial numbers, which you can then match to the stickers. Come to think of it; Intel Matrix should also show the serials.

4. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    Intel Matrix should have a section to view hard drive and volume status. RST should also show drive status, in the "Management" section.

5. KY_BULLET

Reputations:
    IMS does show the serials but I guess since it's in raid 5, it shows the same serial for all 3 HDD's, but I beleive I got it figured out. I'm going to be buying all solid state drives soon. Does anyone have a recommendation to a good SSD set up that works goos with my Sager Np9280? 1 more thing, does anyone know the max hdd size the D900F can take?

Edit...I was looking at the model numbers. They do have 3 different serial numbers.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  6. KY_BULLET

Reputations:
    Replaced all HDD with Ssd, rebuilt raid and every time I put my laptop in the bag and transport it, I get the degraded message and Intel matrix manager rebuilds it. Where would you guys look first?

I'm thinking the ribbon wire that connects the stacked drives but the connection feels good and snug there although, the tape itself could be the problem...who knows?

Also if I can get the Raid rebuilding problem fixed, I'm wanting to do the upgrade to the Nvidia GTX 680m. Im really just trying to get a few more years out of this notebook, it's been a really good one so far.

I can get the GPU itself at a pretty good price. Is the heatsink I have now good enough?, if not, does anyone have a part number for the GPU heatsink I need? By the way, I have already reflashed the bios to 1.009-1.004 to support the 680m

Thanks for any help!
    Charlie

7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    You have 2 HDDs and an SSD in raid 5?

8. KY_BULLET

Reputations:
    No I now have 3/240gb (Same brand and model) SSD's in raid 5.

9. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Is it always the same drive degraded, have you swapped them around to see if it's always the same port?

10. KY_BULLET

Reputations:
    It doesn't really show any of the drives degraded, it says Raid "Volume 0" degraded. All 3 drives have normal status next to them. That's what has me confused. The next time it does this, I will try to post a picture of it.

I have switched them around trying to pin point the bad drive and never could so I just went ahead and bought all 3 thinking this would take care of it but still remains the same. Although, at least now it can be rebuilt. Before I did the swap, it stayed degraded even after rebuilding many times.

Thanks for the reply.
    Charlie