Defragged my Laptop with SSD... Did i make big mistake?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Drew1, Oct 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    You're not educating anyone, least of all yourself with your know all attitude.

The article you link to shows how little the author understands storage subsystems or how to write a truly informative/useful piece... (was SmartPlacement used, was SSD optimize used... ???).

Leaving Optiwrite enabled on an SSD is pretty stupid in my experience... (every free space/block is used and the drive simply crawls when real work is demanded from it).

No problem; I'm dumb - you're smart. But I'm not dumb enough to be 'educated' by you. ;)

2. ajnindlo

ajnindlo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you read the article they do mention " SSD optimization, free-space optimization (defragging free clusters), and optimization by the Windows prefetch layout to make booting faster", and others. As for " SMARTPlacement is PerfectDisk’s patented default method that defragments all your files, consolidates free space, and optimizes the drive according to file usage." So that doesn't seem to special. But he did test PerfectDisk with SmartPlacement and said " This begs the question of whether two hours of sustained writes is worth a 5 percent gain in performance (one that you are unlikely to ever notice)." So it was rewritting the disk for two hours and got a 5% performance increase.

Lastly I think it is very unprofessional to call me names or to make the assumptions you have made. I thought we were trying to help the OP.

3. CTOPS

CTOPS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Apparition

Your correct those are the most effective I would conservatively add "disable fast startup" reason SSD's boot at very high speeds by default and running win 8 the boot record file system is similar to Vista in it's early start and many people have been getting the ""Kernal_data_inpage_error" which was mainly caused by not not disabling pagefile and fast start-ups, and not disabling drive indexing, my boot time are 8-10 seconds and since I update to v8.1 that has fixed the v8 flaws in the master boot files.

Halloween_Pumpkin2.gif

4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Hope the irony of this statement is not lost on anyone.

ajnindlo likes this.
  5. Apparition

Apparition Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    TOE, lets be clear... I would not have even entered the thread if you didn't jump out and insult a new member to the site needlessly. Then after doing so, change your colors by saying, in fact, that his advise was not the worse advise ever and that you read and agree with parts of the quoted article. Now even after I clarified your misconceptions on storage and provided a bit of support hat you have been a valuable resource here at NBR, you still come back with ... well with what is your attempt at a 'so take that' response.

You are a professional who states that you work in IT for a living yet you are trying to sell PerfectDisk and defragging an SSD. My friend that is tantamount to becoming a driving instructor without a driving licence. We do not defrag SSDs PERIOD and there are several reasons (as I tried to explain) that go right back to the differences of storage between the HDD and SSD, why fragging doesn't occur in the same nature, how the SSD counters this, and how the SSD sustains its performance over time.

You may push around others but don't try it here; I will trump that with storage knowledge and, in fact, I'll keep an eye and should you pull the same crap again elsewhere on the site, I will jump in that thread as well and 'educate' you a bit more. Enough said. A little courtesy and some explanation to the new member would have taken you a long way.

saturnotaku and ajnindlo like this.
  6. ellalan

ellalan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Have a look at this blog, if you have done once or twice, no need to worry about it but don't do it any more and just leave the OS to handle everything for you, SSDs are strong enough to last many years.
    Why Windows 8 defragments your SSD and how you can avoid this |

7. Ajfountains

Ajfountains Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    To answer your questions - It is highly unlikely you did any damage. Worst case scenario is you slighly shortened its lifespan. Conservative estimate of a 5-6 year life for an SSD means that maybe, MAYBE, you shaved off a few theoretical weeks or x number of reads/writes. All in all, you should be fine.

Problem with the HP monitor is most likely just that, an issue with the monitor. Highly unlikely the two issues are related

If you really want to see if you did any damage/corruption, use a program like Crystaldisk or another ssd/hdd program. I am sure someone will suggest the best for an SSD.

8. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    OP,

As it is lost on everyone else: defragmenting your SSD is/can be beneficial (and no, you didn't 'hurt' it).

Everyone else: you're missing the forest for the trees (because you all 'know' so much about me/this topic). Sigh...

9. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    I do not know who TOE is but Tilleroftheearth is one of the most respected members here. In some cases high rep power does not equate with extreme knowledge but in this case it certainly does. I also admire people who honestly try to help rather than toss hyperlinks at them. Threads like these make me have to expand my ignore list because of the flaming in post 25.
    And what is "support hat" ?

10. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    But the first line of post 21 and pretty much the entirety of post 28 were probably A-OK with you, right? :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.