Defragged my Laptop with SSD... Did i make big mistake?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Drew1, Oct 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Laptop is windows 7 64 bit home premium. Laptop is asus u45jc-a1 with i3 processor 4gb ram and a 250gb or 300gb hard drive. I bought a samsung pro 250gb ssd b/c i read ssd make computer go very fast. Before i got ssd, in my laptop and desktop i always had the habit of defragging my computer at least a few times a week. I just liked doing it b/c i know it was good for the computer.

I then did it many times for my laptop with the ssd. I then read online that you are not suppose to ever defrag an ssd. I had probably defragged it at least 10 times at the very minimum but the very minimum until i found out this was bad. I always read defrag and checking computer for viruses is good. I use microsoft essentials. Well i am never going to defrag the computer with an ssd anymore. My question is how do i know if i caused a lot of damage to my ssd? I defragged it quite a number of times already until i read you are not suppose to defrag it.

The thing is i have connected my laptop to an external monitor, its an hp monitor and keeps going to sleep. I read a lot of ppl have this problem with hp monitors even though they put never go to sleep etc in the power settings but they still have this problem. But is there a chance that me doing the defrag could have caused this problem?

How do i know if my ssd is corrupted or anything like that?

2. felix3650

felix3650 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Monitor going to sleep and SSD defragmentation are not related to each other ;)
    You did not corrupt the SSD. You just put a little more wear on it. Defragmentation is not reccomended on SSDs just because you write data to it that it's not needed. And since NAND memory has a limited number of write/erase cycles, it's best to minimize that, especially on consumer SSDs.
    SSds are so fast that access times are at nanosecond levels, much much lower that traditional HDDs. Don't worry. After a day of work on your notebook, leave it idle for about 10-15 mins just enough for TRIM to kick in :)
    This way you should be ok.

3. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    AFA the monitor issue, does it happen at a specific time interval?
    What connection are you using? VGA, HDMI ?
    When it sleeps is the lid on the computer closed? If yes try leaving it open
    How do you use the external monitor, Extended desktop, External only, duplicate displays ?
    To verify the integrity of the SSD look at the SMART data, do you have Samsung Magician installed? As stated all you did by defrag is put wear on the drive, Win 7 should have disabled this I believe when you installed the SSD ??
    Tiller , I think that is the definition of trolling (post 5) or a humor attempt

4. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Defragging is a good thing in my experience - with the proper tools (and not done to excess).

See:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/sol...64-smartplacement-defragging-perfectdisk.html

If you have over-provisioned your SSD - have left enough free space on it - use quality defrag software like PerfectDisk 12.5 Pro (or higher), then defragging once a month or so gives me obvious benefits (ymmv).

I wouldn't be worried too much about the defragging... but for the monitor issue, how is it hooked up (dvi, hdmi, vga etc.)?

5. CTOPS

CTOPS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Attached Files:

6. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    CTOPS - the worse advice ever. EVER!!!

7. Apparition

Apparition Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This coming from a guy who recommends defragging SSDs because it has always worked for HDDs eheheh. Thats it. Don't follow the longest standing and most downloaded SSD Guide on the internet and one that that actually demonstrates significant visible performance improvement and space savings.

Great advice TOE.

8. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Yeah, my advice is from experience and experimentation - not 'the longest standing and most blah blah blah' on the net (and therefore it must be true.

I followed that guide and it sucks (not all the points).

I follow what I recommend and it works wonders for me and my clients. Go figure/?

9. Apparition

Apparition Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That must be wisdom listening quietly eheh. So you followed the guide and not all of the points suck. Can you maybe point our a few that do and we will see how they fare with the SSD and storage community in general. Would love for you to elaborate on your reasoning so we may gain a little wisdom rather than just giving bad advise not to follow a guide that, well, you yourself said you followed and some points are valid.

Once we are done that, we can get into a discussion how defragging a SSD is a TOTALLY useless prospect and does nothing but add to the total writes of the SSD needlessly.. The reasoning, as you know I am sure, is because data is stored on a hard drive in a permanent location. It is static and fragmentation occurs because of this. With an SSD, however, there is a little thing called wear levelling in every SSD that prevents the data from remaining in a static location. It is fluid and does not fragment as one might see in a hard drive. The good news here is that we also don't see file corruption and drive degradation as we do in a hard drive.

Face it. You stuck your foot in your mouth which should be rather embarassing for an elder of NBR. You let your personal feelings get in the way of providing some thoughtful and valuable insite, thus striking out at a new member of NBR (and maybe one with just as much knowledge as yourself)...CTOPS of course.

10. CTOPS

CTOPS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The registry tweaks I passed on personally but I have not found a better SSD tweak thread :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.