Definitive Guide To Shutting Off Win10 Updates

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    uh... yeah... I know how to do backups.

safn1949 likes this.
  2. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    Yea, me too. That's why I had 12 Tb of storage before I left the country. I made several grand just doing backup's for business.

How about Microsoft make an OS that's not such a pile of garbage that it wipes your files, and quite often the OS itself out on updates.

My pair of 3e's are the only thing I will ever have running that crap because I have no real choice.

KY_BULLET likes this.
  3. gijoe4us

gijoe4us Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I have been running Win10 for quite some time on my old 19 Mk Iv. I have Paragon drive copied through several versions of Windows, always saving copies to my home server.

My Win 10 has run on my original Mk Iv I bought way back in 2010. I have upgraded through several spinners, and landed on SSD's.

Win 10 runs perfectly on the original Mk Iv, and I just built a newer hour Mk Iv. I have both Win 10 and 8.1 HDD's. They both work fine.

I have never been asked by MS to download win 10 on my win 8 drive. I originally signed up for win 10 as an insider and moved through all of the upgrades offering feedback.

When the initial release happened, there was a specific time frame to get win 10 for free as an upgrade. I have gone to the "store" on win 8, and it wants to charge me $199 for win 10 pro. I already have this, so I am not paying for another license.

As thus, since MS discontinued the win 10 free offering, I have received NOTHING concerning an upgrade.

Hope this info helps....

JD

Shawn likes this.
  4. theoak2

theoak2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you tried Win 10, then changed your mind, it will usually let you go back to Win 10 even though the "free" period is over.

You may still be able to get Win 10 Pro for free if you are comfortable with doing a clean install. You may have to use your Win 8 Pro (or Win 7 Pro) install key as the install key for Win 10.

First try not giving it an install key at all. If it does not activate, then use the Win 8 (or 7) Pro key.

As always, back everything up in case you are not happy with results.

Shawn likes this.
  5. gijoe4us

gijoe4us Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, but, you would have to make sure you did not "wipe" your HD to install 7 or 8. The free upgrade time is over, I don't think using your W7/8 key will work on a clean boot?

6. theoak2

theoak2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Actually, you can wipe the hard drive and do a clean install this way, but it does depend on you having already installed Win 10 previously. If you previously installed on that computer, then MS has a digital license stored for that computer.

BUT THIS DOES DEPEND ON THAT PREVIOUS INSTALL!!

If you are uncertain that you previously installed Win 10, try using an old small capacity junk drive to do clean install.

Shawn likes this.
  7. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    And you can alternatively do the same with TrueOS, real BSD goodness. Or other *Nixes, many run well on Toughbooks ranging from business rugged to full rugged, Buntu derivatives can play nice with touchscreens even with some configuration.

8. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    I'm running Peppermint on a pair of Motion computing tablets, a core i3 and a dirt slow core solo I got NIB cheap.

The core solo will barely run XP but it runs the hell out of Peppermint. I have 4 toughbooks and 3-4 laptops that will arrive here in the next few weeks. (Philippines)

Most will get Linux.