Definitive Guide To Shutting Off Win10 Updates

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Well... It happened. I must not have been paying attention and I thought I had my CF-31 locked down. I must have given approval for a Win10 upgrade and it overwrote everything on my laptop. My valid and legal MS Office 2013 was turned off as was most of my other programs including Kaspersky.

I am going to reinstall Win7 and run the upgrade to 10 again this weekend. What do I need to do to make sure this never happens again. After I get it up and running... I don't want to hear d1ck from MS again!

Thoughts?

2. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    unplug from the internets.
    chop wood
    buy matches
    buy blanket
    buy book on sending smoke signals

UNCNDL1 and toughasnails like this.
  3. User32

User32 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    cmd
    del system32
    acquire USB stick
    acquire gentoo
    install gentoo
    5get the backdoored trash that is called Windows

Kent T likes this.
  4. KY_BULLET

KY_BULLET Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Use "Windows O&O Shut up" to turn off Windows update and a few other unwanted tools that Windows use to get in your business.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    toughasnails and Shawn like this.
  5. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Rick the best advice I can give you is send @Mr. Fox a PM. He is not a mod no more but he might still give you a hand. Also @Phoenix has a lot of great threads on W10 which we all follow including me. He is the man when it comes to W10. He does not take PM's only because he was getting hundreds a day. Also we all use O&O shutup for W10

UNCNDL1, Papusan, Toughbook and 2 others like this.
  6. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    1) You don't need to upgrade from 7 to 10 anymore, so save yourself the hassle. Since you've upgraded to 10 just recently, then your machine was activated using a hardware identifier and so, the moment you go online, it would be activated.

2) After you've installed the latest build of Windows, I don't know why you would wanna turn off automatic updates. Dude this OS is so buggy you seriously do NEED those updates as they continue to fix this mess.

On the other side, if you wanna disable Windows Update, simply go to Services.msc (from the run dialogue box), then disable the Windows Update Service AND also disable Windows updates as well using O&O ShutUp10

See this threads to help you in your journey:

NBR Windows 10 Clean Installation Guide
    How to select Windows Home or Pro when installing Windows 10

Windows 10 Tweaks and Fixes (Index post #1)
    O&O ShutUp10 - Do not use Windows 10 without it!
    Macrium Reflect Installation/Usage Guide

7. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Yes.. I know that I can use other OS's... But not easily with where I go and what I do and the VPNs I associate with. I don't have time to learn a new system.

Phoenix... Thanks... That is what I was looking for!

I find it easier to just use my recovery DVDs and then hit the upgrade button. It takes a little while longer but I don't need to futz around with all the drivers then. I had my last install of Win10 playing nice with everything. When it "upgraded" this time... It blew everything out. (And I am all legal and legit!) I just as soon load it the way I know it.

Thanks for your help!

KY_BULLET likes this.
  8. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Anytime man. I find that clean installs go better with 0 hiccups than an upgrade which may or not carry many obsolete registry entries from the previous OS. Additionally, it'd be better to grab the latest drivers by researching all the ones you currently have and attaining the latest versions of them.

I understand this could be a hassle and probably not worth it on an old computer. Either way, if you need help, we're all here to help.

Good luck

9. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    I had the wiseguy on the Microsoft forum claim he had never seen anything like that happen in all of the blah,blah.

I told him that I and the other several dozen people pitching a ***** about it on the forum had. Jackass. Hope you get it sorted out Rick.

10. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Find some time on learning how to do backups.