Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by hizzaah, Jan 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hizzaah

hizzaah Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Test drove:
    09 CIVIC EX (automatic)51k-wasn't crazy about the experience. The auto killed it for me
    02 Lexus LS430 (auto)120k-this was in great shape, but it was reeeally boring to drive
    06 Civic EX (manual)89k-quite liked this one, it's an ugly color and had a few dents that they promised they'd pop for me. Brought the price down to 9350 and started paperwork on this to see what they'll offer for financing.

Going to go test drive an 09 Civic EX manual tomorrow. The dealership was closed but we drove by and went to check out the car and it's in great shape. It was unlocked and the interior is way better than the 06 and they're only asking $11k, 75k miles.. This is the one I'm gunning for at this point.

2. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Nice! As i read that I was thinking "why dont you test a 09 manual Civic?"

3. hizzaah

Reputations:
    The 09 manual was the first one I found online, but my uncle has a "friend" at the dealership we went to today because he bought a new work truck and paid cash and then took my brother to work out a deal on his '11 Silverado, but his guy was too busy to help us. The dealership was swamped today. Our salesman clearly didn't care too much about us because he wasn't making enough commission :rolleyes:

4. hizzaah

Reputations:
    Test drove the manual a little while ago. It's a lot louder than the auto. Idk what the difference is but I hear the exhaust noise a lot more. It also feels like it might need some clutch work at some point. I filled out preliminary paperwork but ever thing is contingent on the multipoint inspection I'm getting tomorrow.

Much better sales experience. He was the Internet Sales manager so he was salaried. Gave us the "absolute lowest" price he could do right up front. Which is nice, but haggling is half the fun!

They came down to $9835 on price, only $500 more than the 06. After spending some real time with the interior, it's not in as perfect condition as I thought which is kind of upsetting, but that seems to be what my options entail in this price range..

Edit:Aaaand there's a problem with the financing. F.M.L

5. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    Credit union or dealer?

6. hizzaah

Reputations:
    The issue is that my co-signer is out of state. Initially, they had me put my dad as the primary and I was the secondary, but now they're saying they can't do the financing with him as the primary because he's out of state. They have to make me the primary and use my credit score/history which practically nonexistent so I'm not qualifying.

This is with three dealerships. I talked to two credit unions and they said they could try, but only for me. Not with an out of state cosigner. And because I wasn't established with them and currently don't have taxable income (a job), they were fairly certain they couldn't help me. The Honda dealership said they could've made it work if I was within 6 months of graduating because they have a special collegiate program, but I'm 10 months away.

And the first dealership "accidentally" sold the car I was looking at. That one wasn't my first choice, but they didn't know that. Poor form.

So my options at this point are:
    - see what numbers the Honda dealership gives me on a 2013 lease with me as a primary
    - pay $100 for an inspection and then if everything was ok (which I'm 80% sure it won't be) try to push through the financing on the 2009 manual. Though they weren't optimistic about it.
    - sink a few grand into the Mustang over the next month and keep it going until something else catastrophic happens.

I can take the bus to and from school, but we live to far out to walk to a job. I've got two interviews coming up, but without reliable transportation, I'm kinda out of luck with that.

7. knight427

Reputations:
    Is your dad willing to purchase the car jointly with you? My wife and I buy everything big together so we both have credit history for all big purchases. As a student, you should be able to claim that you live with your dad (school housing is temporary) and do everything in his state. Makes it harder to shop, but at least you get fair financing. I'm not 100% sure it can work this way, but it's worth a shot.

8. hizzaah

Reputations:
    He lives in Ohio though. So I'd have to shop in his state, fly out there and then drive it back? Hmmm.. 1300 miles is quiiiiite a drive to make by myself I think.

I suppose I can limp the Mustang along for 6 more months while I get some current work history and then I'd at least qualify for a lease on my own.

9. knight427

Reputations:
    Ouch, I was hoping one state over or something. On the up side, you could pick up hitchhikers to make the trip back more interesting!

10. hizzaah

Reputations:
    That would be an adventure. I mean I drove to Cali with two of my cousins a few years ago. I drove 95% of the way, but I had company and I stopped for a hotel. If I'm gonna do that though, he has an older little Chevy S10 he keeps mentioning. Not the kinda car I want to make a 20something hour road trip in.

I realize it might sound like I'm being kinda picky. I guess I am. It just seems like I don't have a lot of options and I don't want to over extend myself with too big of a payment, but at the same time I want to feel like it's a worth while upgrade since I'm sinking a significant amount of savings and selling my mustang to achieve this.