Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by hizzaah, Jan 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hizzaah

hizzaah Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm looking for a new (to me car). Currently the plan is to make a $4500 down payment and finance a car in the ~$10k range to bring the monthly payments to $100-150/m. From my initial search of the surrounding dealerships, here are a few that caught my eye, in approximate order of preference:

09 Honda Civic EX Coupe, 5-Speed Manual, ~76k miles
    07 Mazda MAZDA6 S Touring Sedan, 6-Speed Auto, ~80k miles
    08 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Sedan, 6-Speed Auto, ~83k miles
    07 Mercury Milan Premier, 6-Speed Auto, ~70k miles

Opinions on these models? I'm of course going to test drive first, but anything I should know? I'm looking for something sporty, on the modern side, reliable, low maintenance, and low insurance cost. I'm going to keep researching and looking around, these are just my preliminary findings.

2. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    I'd go for # 1 any day of the week and any hour of the day.

You'll likely be able to haggle a bit since cars with manual trans tend to sit on the lot for a while longer...unless someone like myself arrives with $$$$...:D

I'm a big fan of Wolsfburg Edition (e.g "real") Jettas but am NOT keen on the automatic trans in these vehicles whatsoever. Otherwise it would make a strong # 2 in my book.

No experience on owning Mazda or Mercury so I'll refrain from judging these two. Neither of them would ever make the top of my list in this contest anyway.

Happy shopping.

KPot2004 likes this.
  3. KPot2004

KPot2004 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'll have to agree with ajkula66, #1 for sure although the Jetta is nice.. Stay away from the Mercury, Ford has made progress in recent years with quality but an 07, ehh..

4. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'd eliminate the Jetta. While CR says that the MKV is a reliable generation, maintenance costs will likely be higher than the other cars.

The Mazda 6 of that vintage and the Milan actually share a common platform. Both are considered to be pretty sporty and agile for mid size cars and the latter comes from a award winning assembly plant as far as quality goes. I'd imagine the Mazda to be pretty trouble free as well.

The Civic will still likely be more entertaining than the Mazda or Mercury just due to size + the wonderful Honda manual transmission alone.

In the end, i'd break it down by your access needs: if you're fine with a 2 door then go Honda. Otherwise test drive both the Mazda and the Mercury and go from there.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

5. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Mazda or Honda.

MAZDA OR HONDA!

6. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    Interesting mix. Civic and Jetta are compact, Mazda6 and Milan are mid-size. The mid-size should trade fuel economy and price/mile for ride comfort, space and maybe overall refinement.

I'm always weary of part-costs on European cars and design-to-warranty-end issues with American cars. Euro cars will generally have high repair bills for comparable problems. American cars (until very recently) were generally designed to last until the warranty expired (especially GM) while Japanese cars tended to design for the long haul. Hopefully that is changing in recent years, but I need more time to believe it myself. Most owners of American brand cars (including me in distant years) end up replacing struts, bearings and/or all kinds of other parts that a Honda/Toyota owner has never heard of because those parts don't fail (at least in my experience). /end biased rant

If you are considering Civic/Jetta, why not Mazda3? I've always liked the look of the hatchbacks. You might even be able to find a Mazdaspeed3 with ~90k miles on it in your price range.

If you like the Milan, you need to look at the Ford Fusion. They are basically the same car. Hopefully the Mercury feels a bit more refined, but I wouldn't just assume that's true. Note that if I ever give US autos a second chance, Ford (and family) is most likely to get my business at this point.

You could also consider some slightly older luxury sedans with low maintenance costs like the Lexus IS300 or Acura TL (think 2004-ish). Or remember that Honda Accord is available in a coup (I don't like the look myself, but some do).

7. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Yeah I'd avoid German cars all together, good luck trying to do any work on it (alot of proprietary tools and stuff). With 14.5k~ to play with, you could get a Honda Civic Si...or as Knight427 pointed out a Speed3. Though I've driven the older Speed3, they are fun but major torque steer and wheel spin.

8. hizzaah

hizzaah Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I did just find an 07 Speed3 Grand Touring.. 87k miles, $1k more than the Civic. Maybe I'll get to test drive it. I drive a friend's speed3 a few years back and remember it be enjoyable.

Everything is going to seem amazing coming off my stang though lol. Thanks for the advice so far guys!

9. Qing Dao

Qing Dao LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD

Reputations:
    The civic is a manual and long-term maintenance will probably be cheapest on it as well, so that would be my first choice, even if it is pretty pedestrian. If that wasn't available I would go for the jetta. They are decent cars, but I would end up loathing that automatic transmission, and it might give you a few more small problems than the civic would down the line.

Proprietary tools? There are very few and made only to make a couple of specific jobs a little easier. They are not actually required and don't even help very much (if at all) over generic tools. I also can't believe that German manufacturers are the only ones who do this.

10. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    They had odds and ends for certain bolts. Unlike Japanese manufacturers who pretty much standardize certain things (like average 14-15-16mm bolts for oil drain plug for example). Also alot of sensor tests are 100% proprietary. I know alot of Audi owners who must go to the dealership for certain repairs.