Deciding on rtx2080 laptop please help

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Wisconsingamer, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Wisconsingamer

Wisconsingamer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?

3000-4500

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?

Usa

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

I don’t really have a bias

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Gaming with some gaming and a little more gaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

It will mostly stay on the desk but if moved it will always be on a table or desk bar etc

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)

That is the main use for me I play mmo rpg action games looter shooter besides mmos not to many multiplayer games

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

Not much at all

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Prefer to see but not against buying without seeing

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)

Well I’d love 1440p but I haven’t found one so otherwise a 1080p high refresh sync screen with great color reproduction is fine.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)

Rather have matte but it’s not a deal breaker

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Not as much as function

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?

1tb for os and documents etc and 2tb for games

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?

In the next two weeks

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?

I’d like to keep it for theee years and still be able to play games on max settings than upgrade

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?

I mean I guess a while ?

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?

Yes easily

==========
    END COPY

I use to have a laptop I bought from exotic pc a sager with 4790k and a 980m that was a solid work horse for several years I just recently sold it to my dad for cheap. Now I’m ready to upgrade. I went to a desktop but it just doesn’t work for me I often have to be in different places around my house or in hotels always have a table etc but desktop isn’t efficient for me. So I’m looking for a good laptop again. I’d like to be able to get half my money back if possible when I go to sell but I know that the more you spend the likely hold of that decreases. So if there’s suggestions I’d really appreciate it.

My main wants are beautiful screen, low thermals, reliable, rtx2080

Fans don’t bother me to much because I play with headphones on I also have a good laptop cooler.

Also not opposed to having an custom dealer repaste and add new thermal pads anything to help.

Even considered just buying a Razer but resellablitly I’m not sure about please help I’m pulling my hair out.

Thanks

2. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    51m by alienware is probably your best bet

pathfindercod and evenflow153 like this.
  3. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Echoing above.

pathfindercod likes this.
  4. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    like sir their are alot of options, but yeah the alienware is the best pick.....I dunno maybe look into gs65 thin but thats max q

pathfindercod likes this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    If going with Area-51m be sure you buy it with max extended warranty. Burned down graphics ain’t cheap.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  6. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If reliability is your main concern, go for a Clevo P870TM-R from HIDEvolution. The P870 is a proven design and many users on here have been using them for years with no major issues, @Papusan can definitely attest to that. Thermals are excellent too, especially with HIDEvolution's thermal improvements. The only downside with this option is the P870 is EOL, and will not get future support from Clevo. I'm pretty sure the P775 will be replaced next year too, so I would not bet on upgrades to that being supported by Clevo... This is a crappy situation, but its no better on Alienware's side as they cannot confirm if next gen GPUs will be a drop in upgrade for the Area 51M - hopefully they are but who knows for sure? The Area 51M could also be a decent option, but it is not as well proven as the P870 and reliability is questionable. If you do go for the Alienware make sure you get a good warranty as Papusan said.

Papusan likes this.
  7. redwolf2x

redwolf2x Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm on the Lenovo y740 train, but at the same time 1440P either grab an external or go alienware.

8. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Area 51m... Dell’s warranty is absolute top notch if you need repairs and they will come to your house/business to fix it. All other manufacturers you’ll have to ship it in and wait and ship it back. Plus phone support from the other big 2 aside from Dell is absolutely horrible.

9. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Agree with all that but there seem to be a lot of stories of on site support with clueless techs who do more damage than fixing, lack parts, fail to fix things etc.

But they probably have practice and parts on hand for common failures *cough*2080*cough*

10. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Their techs get their certs via open book exams if that means anything to anyone.