Deciding on MSI GS, Dont know where to get it and questions

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Dr@gon, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr@gon

Dr@gon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?
    $2000-Soft limit. I can go to $2500 if I need to, but i prefer it for warranties and new mouse
    2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    I am having trouble deciding between GS63 and Gs73
    GS63-More portable, really nice
    GS73-I find it portable too and just a slight heavier than the macbook pro which I do carry from time to time. Curious to know which one to have.
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    USA
    4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: MSI
    b. Dislike: Dell, HP,
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No: This is my graduation gift
    6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    CAD, Gaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    I'll be at a college where its walking 20 mins from dorm to academic side. So I expect portability as a huge factor. I dont expect staying at the dorm alot other than sleeping and relaxing for a short period of time. So itll be like to classes, library, to gym to work out(I mean locking it in lockers)
    8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
      • Hitman
      • Fallout 4
      • GTA 5
      • Just Cause
      • Skyrim
      • L4D
      • Tom Clancy
      • Far Cry
      • Yes, there is alot of FPS games. So its safe to assume that I do play alot of FPS games. But Usually with these games, its more single player and multiplayer, I do play sometimes
    • Civ games
    • Diablo
    • Grim Dawn
    • Distant World Universe
    • Tyranny
    • Total Wars before Rome 2(Shouldnt be a problem)
    • Dishonored
    • XCOM 2
    • Rebel Galaxy

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    From what Ive seen on MSI GS, I see from between 3-4 hours on average. I like that time period. It's enough juice for me to use it for 1 or 2 hours to quickly edit or review for college.
    10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I already got to touch the GS73VR a few days ago, but ill go back and check again
    11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows
    Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    Honestly doesnt matter. The GS73VR comes with 120 hz and I heard its nice. It would be nice to have. Ik the GS63 has 60 Hz, I would prefer the GS73. It just boils down to portability

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    Uhh, Im fine with what MSI is sporting
    Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Dont care. I mean it does look good. But I want performances and utility above looks
    15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Either May, June, and July. I need a new one before college
    16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    Would like it for 3 years.
    Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    SSD plus HHD. The MSI GS is good. 128 or 256 GB of SSD is good plus 1 TB of HHD.
    18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    Im prepared to not have optical drive. I've never used one.

Additional Notes
    Alright, I cant decide between a GS63 and a GS73. They both have same components. Difference is the screen size and refresh rate. Portability isnt a problem honestly. The GS63 is surprisingly light, but so is the GS73VR and It felt similar to a 2013 Macbook Pro. Honestly, unless the 17.3' gets in the way of portability, IMO GS63 and the GS73 has little differences in terms of portability.
    RAM: 16 gbs is good, but I would like to boost it to 32
    CPU: From what I heard, a Skylake and Kaby Lake is little differences, so makes little matters for me
    GPU: Im fine with GTX 1060: IT plays alot of games at a decent rate and Ive been playing with Intel HD 4000 for 5 long years, so it would be a whole new world for me
    Weight: 4-5.3 lbs isnt gonna hurt me.
    Warranty: I need a 3 year warranty that would cover accidental damages and repair stuff. Also reliability is a strong need too.

Questions
    1. Where can I buy this? Best Buy is out and Im going through Amazon and not only is there MSI, but there is Computer Upgrade King, XoticPC, ExCaliberPC. Which one would suffice and has a good reputation?
    2. Whats the difference between a 224, 225, and the 6th generation models? I mean all these different models with numbers are confusing me
    3. Get it through Amazon or directly through online retailer?
    4. Any honest take on the GS63 vs GS73?

2. Gront

Gront Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You could get it from a custom maker like XoticPC, GenTechPC and HIDEvolution so you could get a repaste on the CPU and GPU for better temperatures. (There are more sellers than these but they're the first that come to mind)

I've personally only had experience with HIDEvolution and was very satisfied with their service. I live in the UAE and got the laptop I bought without any hitches. Plus, they have a notebookreview forum discount, just message donald@hidevolution.com through email regarding the details. HIDE also has a custom 15" notebook using the GS63 chassis if it interests you. (Not sure what's the difference other than the branding/warranty though)

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  3. Shivi Vats

Shivi Vats Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I see that you're looking for a portable laptop with decent battery life, so why don't you go with the Aorus X5 V6? It fits your budget and ticks all the points for the laptop you want. Plus, it's very good looking and is also built like a tank.
    If you do consider the Aorus X5 V6, go for the one with the 120Hz FHD screen (only available on Newegg), as the 3k screen has PWM.
    And if you want to, you can wait for the V7 to come out. I've spoken with Aorus support and they say that it'll be releasing third week of May.

Also pinging @Galm because he is a god and should give you the best recommendation that fits your criteria.

4. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    I would strongly recommend finding a 17" vs 15" in person and try to fit it in whatever bags you would need. For college I would always take 15" over 17". 17" is unwieldy.

5. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    I strongly suggest you purchase from HIDevolution - it's a bit more expensive but they offer fantastic customer support and are known to be the most reliable reseller around.

Aroc and Dr@gon like this.
  6. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  7. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    BTW, the GS63 is rumoured to have a poor display, you better check the reviews. At least that's what it writes on reddit.

8. TyroG

TyroG Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Check the new aero 15

9. Dr@gon

Dr@gon Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That is what I wanted to hear. After looking around through this forum and reviews; It seems like has the service I really need. TBH, when I first saw the website, I thought it was bad. But considering the great reviews and recommendations; looks like HIDevolution has what I want.

So the MSI GS series is a good one for me? It just boils down to the size I need.

To be honest, I was looking at MSI because my cousin had one from best buy(I know, its bad) and it hasnt broke down so far. He likes it alot and suggests it to me.

I am happy to hear that. I went digging and it seems you had a really good experience with HIDevolution

Yeah, I am going into Mechanical Engineering. Plus I heard that GS63 has a 60 Hz screen, and is a little bit bad. But that's something for me to consider as both are portable to me.

I looked it up and to be honest, I am all up for looking at new things. But MSI so far has good experience in my family and my father who is buying me a laptop is really pushing for the GS.

Question
    to contact donald@hidevolution.com, I can just email him?

10. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    I suggest you email donald@hidevolution.com , he will guide you to get the best for your needs and not try to oversell you on anything. Better yet, just call him

don_svetlio likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.