Deciding Between Older Hardware Laptops

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Ari3sgr3gg0, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Ari3sgr3gg0

Ari3sgr3gg0 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I'm at a point where I've made the upgrade from my old GE72VR 6RF to an Asus G701V. Love the performance of the Asus but really can't stand the keyboard they included with it. My MSI has great feeling keys that light brightly in an easy to see color. The Asus is backlit but really still needs some light source to see them well. A more minor gripe is the MSI kills it with the speakers that it uses, four front speakers and a sub woofer, while the Asus only rocks two regular speakers. So I'm going to be replacing the Asus with a different GTX 1080 laptop and here I am to get some other input.
    I'm looking at getting another used MSI with the GTX 1080 and i7 7820HK, the problem is I've also been looking at some other Clevo chassis machines that include an actual desktop 7700k, potential for dual cards and more storage options. I think the Clevo would offer more future proofing but I'm wondering if anyone has bounced between a Clevo and MSI so that I could get feedback on sound and keyboard. Also would the desktop processor do much better than the laptop for RTS games like the Total War series? Anyway thanks for the read and I hope I get some other input

2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I am not familiar with any of those machines. I do have a couple of thoughts. One, it's awesome that you are keeping old iron alive. A fun pastime of mine too. two. I think if you are not taking it around with you all the time, I would get the 7700K device as it sounds like it has more upgrading abilites.

3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The keyboard and speakers on Clevo laptops are arguably the two weakest aspects of their designs. The former sound tinny and hollow, the latter feels like you're going to punch straight through the chassis when you press the keys with even moderate pressure. It's especially poor on their models with replaceable desktop CPUs because I assume Clevo figures most people who buy such machines will be using external keyboards and headsets anyway.

4. Ari3sgr3gg0

Reputations:
    I'll probably make the jump to the MSI based machine then. I don't use an external keyboard and the headset is hit or miss. My wife doesn't like it when I can't hear her call for me because my headset cancels out the noise. Disappointing because on paper the Clevo machine really seems to kill it.

5. Ari3sgr3gg0

Reputations:
    I mean when a GTX 1080 is trading blows with the RTX 2080 I'll save my money by buying something used that still does anything I want it to. I'm happy gaming at 1080p, and I'm not willing to wait for the 3xxx series release on laptops. If my MSI was mxm based I'd have gladly just spent the money getting a new card for it and upgrading to an NVME SSD.

kojack likes this.