Deciding between an EVOC P775TM-R and P870TM-R

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by craum, Jan 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craum

craum Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OP here... I would tend to agree. It's not a sexy choice, per se (though the M1 Abrams has a certain appeal), but it's ultra-field tested and there are no surprises. The downside is not much in the way of future compute upgrades will be possible, CPU wise... GPU wise ???

The downside with the X170 is it's somewhat risky and there will be growing pains (which I guess is part of the fun for a sub-set of enthusiasts). With a new chassis, who knows what problems could crop up until it's been in the field for a while. Look what happened with the 51m... They've had to throttle it on at least one (more?) occasions.

2. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Can’t compare those wonderful Clevo DTR models with those from Dell. Every AW model from 2013 and forwards is crippled one way or another. Every new year and new flaws.

Can’t remember that the later Clevo DTR model’s (DM/TM) series had growing pains outside variable HS quality.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    1610ftw and jc_denton like this.
  3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Mostly I just got bemused looks as I took my p570wm through taking up the entire tray itself :p

DreDre and 1610ftw like this.
  4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    7nm is a nice jump in power and density and then any arch improvements are a cherry.

5. craum

craum Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advice. Waiting for the X170 later instead of buying the P870 now feels like one of those decisions you know is the right one to make but you don't have enough will power for...

1610ftw likes this.
  6. 1610ftw

1610ftw Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    :D In that case go for the P870 but I would try to check availability of an upgrade path to the RTX3080 - if that isn't possible I would expect better performance from the X170 in the long run.

And please remember that the P870 is about 2 lbs heavier than your G751, probably closer to 3 lbs with the power brick. It is a real beast and if you intend to carry it around regularly you should be fine with that..

Papusan likes this.
  7. qon

qon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I recently got the P870TM-R (with 9900KS / 2080) after my P775 died, and I am quite happy with it. It runs faster and cooler, thus also quieter.
    I am using this daily as desktop replacement, running plenty of simulations etc., only occasionally for gaming.
    2 power bricks was a no-go for me, so I got the 780W eurocom, which increased the price even further.
    Price and weight are certainly a con, but so far airport security let me pass after a manual screening of the devices. Actually they seem more curious about the 780W PSU than the laptop itself :)

I think it is the best system for power users as of today, but it has also reached the end of its upgrade paths. So it is something to buy now as it is, use it for a long time unchanged, and then replace it.
    If I wouldn't have needed it asap, I would probably have waited for the X170, at least to compare the two.

One negative point that annoys me with it is that PCIe is limited to x8 (due to SLI capability, doesn't affect most games though).

Important positive points for me personally are also that this system is very well known, runs smoothly on Linux, and manual fan control is possible.
    For me it is not so clear whether that will be given for the X170 from the very beginning.

craum and Papusan like this.
  8. 1610ftw

Reputations:
    Thanks for the report, which P775 version did you have?

Speaking of running more quiet doesn't that 780W power supply also have a pretty audible fan?
    I always liked the idea to only carry one of the 330W adapters while traveling but obviously this may not appeal to everybody.

As for the X170 I would say that at first it would only be a case of waiting until more specifications and details become known and that may already help in making a more informed decision as to whether it is worth the wait or not. At that point it should still be possible to get one of the older models.

9. 1610ftw

Reputations:
    It is funny that people talk about superior build quality for Dell/Alienware and also other manufacturers yet on the inside where it counts the P870 and P775 are rock solid whereas the competition often delivers subpar product that throttles like crazy and/or breaks down or goes up in smoke.

Not to mention the rubbery surfaces that Dell likes to use that usually look less than great after a very short time of usage that cannot be cleaned properly anymore. Meanwhile the Clevo DTR's are plain and yet very durable and not prone to aging as badly as those rubbery surfaces that Dell still uses.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    ole!!! and Papusan like this.
  10. qon

qon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had the p775dm-3 with a 6700k. I tried a 9900k in the p775 with firmware mod, but the temps were actually not great.
    Obviously I cannot say anything about the p775tm (v.s. dm), but the p870tm seems way cooler.
    I have / had the cpu undervolted by 100 mV, and the 9900ks clocked to 4.5 GHz for daily use, and hat the 6700k at 4.0, and they were actually running at similar temperatures, only the 9900 in the p870 has twice the cores, and higher clocks.

The p870 actually works with a 330W power supply as long as you don't load CPU and GPU at the same time (I mean all cores on the CPU + GPU).
    It might help a bit that the 2080 in the Clevo is crippled to 150W, which is less than the 1080 in the p870 before.
    But I think to be on the safe side, the 780W is a good choice.
    It has the fan, but with the single-gpu p870, it is newer running close to its capacity, so the fan remains rather silent.
    I use the 780W only for traveling, and use my stock of 330W supplies with the 2*330W converter box in the office.

Not sure if one can judge the X170 before someone has it in its hand and gives a reasonable review.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.