Deciding between an EVOC P775TM-R and P870TM-R

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by craum, Jan 27, 2020.

1. craum

craum Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sober analysis. Thank you for that. The extra $700 and three pounds is a hard one to swallow for lower operating temperature on a 9900KS / RTX2080 combo... Something to think about.

BTW, what is the difference between a P775TM1-G and P775TM-R???

Thanks.

2. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Probably just a different factory firmware.

I don’t think there are any physical differences.

Also, getting a EVOC laptop with Prema bios is really the best way to go. But, if you can save substantial money buying else where and getting the default bios you will live just fine. I run 5.1Ghz on my P750TM1 without Prema.

I am certain Prema would be fantastic and all. But, selling my entire laptop to buy a EVOC is the only way to get Prema bios in
    my case. And this is just a ridiculous thing to even consider lol.

Rahego and craum like this.
  3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Correct that the chassis and such is the same on the 775.

4. Rahego

Rahego Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you are from Europe, there are also resellers with prema bios. Just something to keep in mind

Papusan and craum like this.
  5. 1610ftw

1610ftw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you want to keep this one for 5 years and with the X170 around the corner I'd say you owe it to yourself to wait for pricing and specs on the X170 - it might as well hit a sweet spot and if not you can still go with a P870 or P775.

The P870 may be too much if you travel a lot especially by plane but it will probably give you the best thermals of the three and therefore also lower noise levels for the same performance. As for upgradability I would expect an easier upgrade path for the X170 which may be something fun to do in a year or two. Still I wouldn't be surprised if a bios modification helped to keep the older designs current with upcoming graphics as long as the form factor is right.

craum likes this.
  6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The best long term purchases are made at the start of a full generation (not refresh) gpu launch.

tps3443 and Dennismungai like this.
  7. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Agreed.

What are your opinions on the 20 series RTX GPUs in regard to this? While we may have been spoiled by the 9-series to the 10-series performance jump, buying into an RTX2080 DTR at the beginning would also seem to have been a good call as the 30-series is a long way off, and even though the Supers are coming, the non-super 2080 is still going to get you close to 'maximum' level mobile GPU performance for a considerably long time.

Personally, being in the market for a DTR with no set time schedule, I somewhat regret not buying with the 2080 and wanting a nicer looking chassis than the P7 series. The X170 looks real nice, but I don't think I can bring myself to buy one with a 2080 Super considering speculation puts the 30-series mobile in 2021. May just hold out for the first go around of that new generation.

Edit: Perhaps a kind of stealth benefit of that is by then any kind of custom bios will be more mature for the X170, and user opinions of its strengths and weaknesses more plentiful on the chassis.

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    If OP buy it today and intend to have it 4-5 years there ain’t other options than going for P870 with PremaMod firmware. I wouldn’t look other places. This model is the only real DTR nowadays. Or just wait it out and see what the new model will offer. Of course coming model will need Prema firmware.

9. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    LGA 1151 has reached the end of the road with the 9900KS. It had a good run!
    It's LGA 1200 (X170 in Q2) from here on...

That being said the P870TMx, being the last of its kind, will always have a special place in our enthusiast hearts...even though they hate us at the airports. :D

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    Vasudev, DreDre, Ashtrix and 6 others like this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    HeHe. I think we'll never see similar again.... 6700K→7700K→8700K→9900K as in my good old BGA-Killer laptop from 2015. Yeah, the last of its kind. Will probably ride next to my old W860 here home. The smaller 10 years old lady will still not die. So I think they will be best buddies the coming years:)
    upload_2020-1-30_2-43-12.png

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    DreDre, Ashtrix, Mr. Fox and 3 others like this.