Decently portable, solidly-built laptop for general use, light editing/gaming

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by OlegRU, Feb 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OlegRU

OlegRU Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?

$600-800 (as long as I can finance it)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

13" and up
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike: Acer seems to make crappy built stuff, but I'm no computer expert.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

Prefer to go new for this pricepoint

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Business/school/general use with multitasking, light photo/video editing and some light/occasional gaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

I'm looking for something decently portable - both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

I haven't played games for a while, but would like the ability to play if I had the time/desire. I'd like to run at least up to games from 2011 (i.e. Dragon Age II, Mass Effect 3 and older) on good settings, and older games (i.e. Dragon Age: Origins, ME 2) on high.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

My laptop that just died had a horrible battery, so would be great to have a battery that could last like a workday or something, if I was doing non-intensive things such as browsing, typing etc.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Whatever is the best deal and I can finance.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

At this price, I'm assuming Windows is the way to go.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

Seems like 1080 is the new standard

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

Not sure - I like a vibrant display, but maybe one that has good enough display that glare is not an issue even if it's a glossy one...? (sorry for the newb answer lol)

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Not really

15) When are you buying this laptop?

ASAP

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

Several years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

Would like an SSD of course, but depends on price. Perhaps the 8GB SSD/HD combo so things load and work fast but save money. I want it to hold data, but with a good enough laptop, I guess I could get an external HD.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

No

2. OlegRU

OlegRU Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    anybody?

3. Critical Observer

Critical Observer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Several well-specced Thinkpad E570 and a few E470 that fit your budget in the Lenovo outlet; criteria used:

- New
    - 1080p display
    - dedicated GPU

E470 (14") is fairly portable, E570 (15") slightly less so. Both are of robust build especially considering the price-point and the keyboards are the best in class as well. Both are available with dGPU, E470 with 940MX and E570 with 950M, that should make older games quite playable.

There are also some Ideapad 700 and Ideapad y700 in the outlet, with quad core Skylake CPUs, lesser build-quality and less portability compared to the Thinkpad options above. I must say this one http://outlet.lenovo.com/outlet_us/itemdetails/80RU00CYUS/445 looks like a whole lot of computer for a very reasonable price to me (but then, all of these appear astoundingly cheap to my European eyes).

4. OlegRU

OlegRU Notebook Geek

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.