Debating trading my Asus Zephyrus GX501 for a Strix GL503 Scar

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Analogboy, Dec 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Analogboy

Analogboy Newbie

Reputations:
    Picked up the Zephyrus last week and while it’s a great laptop, after warranty and tax the final price was about $3800 CAD. Looking at the GL503 Scar, I can trade in the Zephyrus and get about $1000 bucks back. That would give me some overhead to upgrade the slow 5400rpm HD to a solid state and have $800 to spare. It’s my understanding that the 1080 max-q and the 1070 are close enough in performance that I probably won’t notice it, and the 144hz screen would be a slight step up from Zephyrus’ 120hz. Both laptops are portable enough for my situation, which is to have a portable recording set up with occasional gaming, and I do have a 1080ti desktop rig at home. I have a couple questions preventing me from pulling the trigger.

My recording interface uses TB3 and so far is up and running fine on the Zephyrus. I’m reading comments about how the GL503 Scar’s TB port is half speed? This concerns me as I don’t want it to negatively affect my recording latency/processing but I’m also reading that the difference between TB3x2 and TB3x4 is negligible. Also, I’m not able to find if the Zephyrus is x2 or x4, all I know is it’s working fine.

Second of all, a quiet laptop is preferable which the Zephyrus is...at idle. I realize both rigs are gonna be louder under full load but I just need to know if the GL503 is quiet under general
    conditions. My recording software isn’t super intensive, especially not on the gpu so I’m hoping the fans don’t kick up too much just using recording software.

Also read that the 2.5inch HD in the GL503 can’t be upgraded to an SSD, is this true? I saw some makers offering this upgrade on their websites.

The Zephyrus is great, but I really feel that the only thing it has over the GL503 Scar is a slightly smaller form factor and a 1080 max-q. Upgrading the GL503 HD would give me more space, bigger battery and a faster display for $800 less...at the cost of 10% performance. What do you guys think?

hmscott likes this.
  2. DonGod

DonGod Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wait for some reviews of the GL503 Scar.

I fear it will be significantly louder than the Zephyrus under normal gaming load. But maybe Asus will surprise us, although I have no high hopes. At least for me noise is a deal breaker.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Analogboy

Analogboy Newbie

Reputations:
    Figured I'd post an update. I ended up returning the Zephyrus for the 503VS Scar edition and I couldn't be happier. First thing I noticed off the bat was the response time on the screen. Although the Zephyrus has a 120hz screen, the response time was so slow that it might as well have been 60hz. The screen on the 503VS is night and day better to me playing games. Also, while this laptop isn't as thin as the Zeph it's still thin enough to be really portable, and the extra mm of thickness actually make it feel sturdier. The GTX1070 performs pretty much as good as the 1080 max-q, with a Timespy of 5100 on the 1070 and 5500 on the 1080...pretty negligible.

So when I returned the Zephyrus and ordered the 503VS they refunded me the difference, which was almost $1000. With that money I was able to upgrade the slower 2nd drive in this new laptop, for a total of 750gb of ssd storage, 256 more than the Zephyrus. So not only do I get essentially the same performance, with more HD space, and a significantly better screen...I also get around 700 bucks back. What I lost was a few mm of slim-ness and a bit more fan noise when gaming. I definitely made the right choice.

Veraison and hmscott like this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Hey @mason2smart - maybe Asus will let you do this too? :)

mason2smart likes this.
  5. quickie

quickie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How’s the noise while gaming? Is it really loud?

6. Analogboy

Analogboy Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah it's pretty loud, but the Zephyrus wasn't exactly quiet playing BF1 either. At the end of the day a slightly quieter maching under load isn't worth a grand to me. I game with headphones for the most part.

EDIT: I will say that the temps hover around 80 C while in a heavy gaming session, if that's any consolation.

mason2smart and hmscott like this.
  7. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    U getting cpu spiking in bf1?

8. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I bought from microcenter with special money back warranty. They prob won't let me trade back after so much time

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I thought Asus was offering a trade of some kind with RMA, but there was a component shortage?

You'd do the swap with Asus...but I guess it doesn't hurt to reference this thread and as Microcenter as well...

mason2smart likes this.
  10. Analogboy

Analogboy Newbie

Reputations:
    Hmmm, to be honest I don't really know what you mean. I didn't really notice anything other than the odd dip in frame rate from 120 down to 90ish when the action gets particularly intesnse, but my desktop with a 1080ti exhibits the same behavior.