Debating portable gaming systems

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by sucker4pa1n, Apr 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sucker4pa1n

sucker4pa1n Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

Depending upon payment options available by the vendor, between $1500-$2500. (I could pay flat out up to $2500 given an amazing deal or something)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    (basically 15.6" - 16.1")

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    United States

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    I've had no issues with my GT60 0NE-403US, but it's getting old and it's heavy. But I dig MSI. Wife owns an Asus with no issues, thinner/lighter than mine.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Not really, unless I knew the previous owner personally, or had proof of functionality, it showed that it was taken care of, and is an amazing price.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming, audio/video editing are the primary tasks. Eventually dabbling in CAD if I have time. But mostly gaming.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both - weight and size are one of the main reasons I'm shopping around for an upgrade to my GT60. I travel 25% of the time for work, and have a work laptop as well, so size and weight are a thing.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    ESO, Satisfactory, Borderlands, Farcry games, basically anything except for maybe competitive FPSes unless I'm pugging.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Maybe three or four if I'm literally just opening it up to look at something real quick, I'm always plugged in when gaming or doing anything for more than a few minutes.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Doesn't matter to me.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows, but I'd like to dual boot eventually and refamiliarize myself with Gentoo. Give Sabayon a go.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? 1080p is fine.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
    Doesn't matter too much. Just be bright lol

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Looks, no. RGB is frivolous. Just be sturdy - I tend to be careful with my stuff, but I'd probably have the laptop in a neoprene sleeve stuffed inside a SOC bugout bag backpack as a carry-on, so if it can't handle that, next please.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    The more, the merrier.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Sometime in the next few weeks, or ideally before June. As long as it's fully operational (like if I buy a chassis and need to install OS and parts in it) by June.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    My last one I bought from XoticPC in late 2012 while deployed, and it's still my daily driver. Desktop has been collecting dust. So...ideally at least that long.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    I've got a spare and an untouched desktop, won't be playing games but I guess it would keep me busy. Ideally less than a week, especially if it's something I can fix.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    I'd rather ship it out or fix it myself tbh.

==========

I've been strongly considering the Clevo P960E* series. At first I started with the 2060, but I've since slowly noticed that all the tweaks I was making put me into range of the 2070 and 2080 max-q versions. It doesn't help that there's such a noticable price difference between Gentech, XoticPC, and HIDEvolution. I ruled RJTech out when it seemed that buying ram+drives+OS would make it more expensive than buying a premade version (like the Mech or Evoc). Gentech prices are great but no prema, though I'm not even sure if Prema has something for this line yet.

Also been considering the Eluktronics Mech-15 g2, but the Clevo's screen and glass touchpad seem to be a tad bit more enticing than the mechanical browns.

The Lenovo Y740's biggest turn off is that it's the heaviest.

If I had spares M.2 NVMe drives, RAM, and extra Windows licenses, I'd probably just buy both the Tongfang/Eluktronics and the Clevo/Sager barebones. But such is not the case.

I've also been stuck because a part of me is like "I could just get the rtx 2060 which opens up some money to go towards drives and such" but I want the longevity, plus I've heard of some folks tweaking enough to get the max-q to function like a non-maxq version with vbios edits and such.

Thank y'all for the help and advice! I'm open to other suggestions, just felt it relevant to point out I've been heavily leaning towards the Clevo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2. davaid

davaid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Get MSI GE75 with RTX 2080 or Asus ROG GL704GW, they are the best for what you want, and do yourself a favor and stay away from RTX 2060 in gaming laptops, it sucks and waste of money unless you want to play games at lower settings.

3. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think you have the two best models figured out.

but watch out the 9750 models are about to be announced any day of both of those.

I would 100 percent bu the nvme drives from newegg.com and get the minimum you can
    you may see my signature i bought 2 2tb nvme ssds

If you do buy ssds from teh manufacturer eluktronics is ok, still a waste of money vs newegg.com
    I got the clevo 17 inch version of the 960 with the 250 mb sata ssd and cloned it to an nvme drive. It literally is much cheaper even if you end up throwing the 250 mb drive away

4. sucker4pa1n

Reputations:
    The GE75 is a 17.3" lappy mate. I like the profile/dimensions of 15.6" machines. The Clevo just has the added benefit of a bigger panel for the same form factor. The MSI is also about a pound heavier, Asus even heavier than that. Both are roughly a half an inch wider, 7/10" deeper, and a bit thicker. They're both smaller than my current GT60, and I'm inclined to agree that if they have a full RTX2080 it'd be hardcore. But from what I've seen via benchmarks and such, any of the RTX series will be a noticeable upgrade from my GTX 680m - which at the moment I game on happily. I don't necessarily need to run everything on super ultra; I was the dude who used to play CS at lower resolutions because the hit boxes were bigger... hahaha

Funny thing that, I believe right after I posted this I saw the 960R* series on Clevos site, and the next day they were on Sager and a few others. Been researching and hoping to find more folks reviewing the 9750H, but honestly it ends up being a... $100 savings to stick with the 8th gen? I don't know if it's worth it. Even if performance isn't that improved, the power management seems to be a bit better, so for the TDP it might run a little cooler, that sorta thing.

5. sucker4pa1n

Reputations:
    I think I'm like...97% set on the P960RF. The 2070 has a bit more vRAM, and even though it's throttled compared to the full versions, still seems to perform better than/comparable to the 2060 (depending). Like I mentioned above, the 9th gen i7 seems to be worth the little bit of extra (or basically the same money I would've paid a few weeks ago for the last gen). Only thing I wish I knew now is if Prema wants to touch it or not XD

6. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It is a locked bios.
    You can pay many people to unlock it not just prema that's a weird relationship here on the forum
    Thtis model is different than other clevos it has a bios the same brand as an alienware

7. sucker4pa1n

Reputations:
    I've been back and forth, as I've previously purchased from XoticPC, but also have heard great things about HIDEvolution, so the Prema exclusivity isn't too big of a deal. I guess GenTech does come out a tiny bit cheaper, and even with my current laptop I don't really OC or anything, but having the option would be nice, if that makes sense.

I *could* risk things and figure out unlocking myself, I found a few guides. But if the P960RF could be unlocked (and the P960EF, which seems to be identical except for the 9750H, was seemingly unlockable on XoticPC's site, but now I'm not seeing either chassis in their customized line...) I can't imagine it being impossible or anything. Presuming I ever needed/wanted to - my primary concern would be minimizing thermal throttling, not really getting more than normal performance, and if I'm understanding things correctly, I could still undervolt and such regardless if the BIOS is unlocked.

Still debating on the hundreds it ends up costing to get the best panel/pixel warranty/backlight bleed/color optimization stuff. I think that's basically my final holdup, aside from the normal monetary planning and looking for sales and such.

8. default2413

default2413 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm looking at the P970RD myself (17", but with the 2060, rather than 2070-max q). I'm not quite as knowledgeable, but trying to figure out exactly what I want. From what I've seen, the benchmarks for 2070-max q don't seem that much better than 2060?
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/GeFor...Force-RTX-2060-Laptop_9611_9581.247598.0.html
    All else the same, a P9x0RD vs P9x0RF is a $200 jump for just 2060 to 2070-max q. Is the difference worth it?

9. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So a little bit on the Y740. If I were in the market for a gaming laptop right now, I'd go for that - especially since the 2070MQ version was on sale for about $1300 last week.

A few months back I was buying all kinds of laptops trying to find the one I wanted.

I went through Alienware Area-51m, Alienware 17, MSI GS65, Lenovo Legion Y740 17" (2080MQ).

The Area-51m started smelling of smoke and was of the first run that has seen numerous failures. I decided to return it, especially since it was extremely expensive and not actually portable for my purposes. The Alienware 17 and Y740 17" were of the same issue - too big to justify the downgrade from a desktop. The Y740 also had tons of back light bleed. The GS65 (1070MQ) went back due to horrible thermals and flex.

I then stumbled on a used Alienware 13 R3 OLED and AGA with 1080 used deal. I decided to give it a try since I could just resell it if I didn't like it. Ended up LOVING it and buying 3 years of warranty for it.

The Y740 15" has great thermals, a nice keyboard, subdued looks, etc. If I were to buy a new laptop now I'd go for it. You play a roulette on the screen as back light bleed has been a fairly common problem, but that is what we get for demanding IPS screens above VA panels. Lenovo customer service isn't exactly great and you may be waiting a long time, plus the i7-9750h line should be coming soon. That said, maxing out a Y740 will be at the lower end of your budget and perform well.

The feedback another poster had about the 2060 is confusing. I was completely unimpressed by the 2080 Max-Q and did not feel it was worth the price difference between the 2070 or 2060. The 2070 MQ is so close to the 2060 that it isn't usually worth it unless you find a nice deal (like the Y740). If the 2070 MQ isn't far off from the 2060, and the 2080 MQ isn't that far from the 2070 MQ... Then the 2060 isn't too far off from the 2080 MQ, and this has been shown in benches. RTX in general is straight up disappointing, but that is a whole other discussion.

I don't have any feedback to provide for the Clevo's, but I'd seriously consider a custom build from Xotic. Those are great people there and if you can make a comparable deal to the Y740 I'd do it.

10. sucker4pa1n

Reputations:
    Honestly the main reason why I'm thinking of the 2070 maxq over the 2060 is the extra ram - and the possibility of modding the 2070maxq to act more like it's full power counterpart. You're not wrong though, the price jump is pretty hefty considering existing performance reports.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.