Debating between Asus GL503VS Scar and MSI GE63VR Raider

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by skman, Mar 13, 2018.

1. skman

skman Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget? $2,000-$2,300

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    HIDevolution :)

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Debating between Asus and MSI
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Gaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Primarily at home but a little travel

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Yes, i play a variety of games..some AAA titles to small indie ones

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? not too much

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Online ok

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. - Win10

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.) - FHD is good, but would prefer 120hz or higher..that 144hz screen seems enticing

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    Matte

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Not that important but I don't want too much of a box

15) When are you buying this laptop? Now

16) How long do you want this laptop to last? probably at 3-5 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner? No

Hey guys..i'm kind of caught up between deciding between the Asus GL503VS and the MSI GE63VR. I'm really diggin that IPS panel but i haven't seen too much on the user experience with the Asus (i've already read a lot of the reviews but would like to see if I can find more user feedback).
    The threads in the MSI group has been very helpful and are definitely swaying me more towards the MSI. Just wish it had the TB3, though I don't know how much I'd really use it.
    I have an older Sager now and have traveled with it overseas but looking to find something a bit lighter and smaller profile.
    anyhow, would appreciate any thoughts! thanks in advance!

Ultra Male likes this.
  2. asm1

asm1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I went from GE62 Apache Pro (i7700HQ 16 GB, 1060 3GB) to GE637RE Raider (i7700HQ, 16GB 1060 6 GB) when the Apache had an accident. Same Generation.

The screen on the Raider is really good for what it is (TN Panel 120 hz). Havent used it in anger much as i Have a BenQ 144Hz external monitor. Seen quite a few really positive reviews.
    Since I have had to buy this (the Apache Pro was an insurance replacement) I could not stretch to the 1070 variant but the 1060 clocks pretty well and is more than adeqate for 1080p gaming at 120/144hz.

I really like the fact it has 2 onboard M2 slots - in my case I installed the SM961 I had left over from the previous machine.
    It seems to run much cooler, although I help that as I have a laptop stand with fans.

I have as yet found no reason for me to use/need TB 3 so what I dont have I won't miss.

Audio is as good as the Apache (same chipset) although I have a headset for gaming.

I did "Upgrade" a few bits - I bought an 8GB version and put the 16GB in from my Apache, SSD as mentioned, and I changed the Wifi Chip.
    It came with Killer 1435 which some people prefer. I had an intel 8265 so again that got swapped over. I have an Intel 9260 in the post....
    Havent tried to carry it anywhere yet but it is much less bulky than my Apache, although a similar size.

There is no Optical Disk Drive, but I solved that by putting the one from the Apache in an external USB enclosure. I still dont use it much.:D

Of the two machines - The Raider is my favourite (obvs! it works) but you can see the lineage. Not looking forward to the Quote/Bill for fixing the Apache.

Just a few thoughts from a reasonably new GE63 owner, hope it is useful.:)

Galm and skman like this.
  3. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The ASUS GL503VS every day of the week in my opinion. That 144Hz screen has amazing colours and contrast as well low pixel response times (no ghosting) compared other IPS panels. I'm pretty sure that the GE63 uses the B156HAN05.2 panel, which is TN. It has terrible colour reproduction, especially out of the box; everything a has horrible blue cast to it. Even calibration doesn't fix the problem, instead the panel's colours become too warm. Contrast on the panel is also really, really bad, with blacks looking more grey than black. Compared to a good IPS panel (e.g. LG's LP156WF6-SPB5), thee difference is night and day.

The GE63 has a better keyboard and trackpad, but the difference is not great enough to justify that getting that inferior display. I'd also recommend re-pasting the laptop and replacing the thermal pads. You either do this yourself, or pay more to have a reseller do it for you.

A full review of this machine is available here: https://www.ultrabookreview.com/18807-asus-rog-gl503vs-review/