Deal of the year!

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by Maxware79, Jan 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrMogwai

MrMogwai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, I know :) Can't wait :) My wife is even more extatic :)

For the colours, another idea was Vantablack (not likely) or Black 2.0/3.0 (more likely).
    The 1080 I believe was sucessfully implemented in the Ranger, I've even seen the tutorial on the NBR forum, But I have only one Ranger for now ( considering another, since they run around 400-500$ here).

Furthermore, never using the crappy paper painting tape, ruined my liquid rubber for the control panel of M15x, it only sticks to things it's not supposed to... Three layers of rubber ruined...

Maxware79 likes this.
  2. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Black 3.0 would be good to see!

3. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    Saw it around for sale for about 7$ for 15ml, so it's quite expensive, but hey, there is no stopping alienw-art (yes, I'm aware of the pun here :D )

4. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah that's pretty dear. You'd want to get it right.

With the white M18x I'm working on I was going to try to work in a faint M18x R2 silhouette on the LCD somehow. Something similar to what the new machines have but almost invisible. Maybe have the lid as gloss white but the M18x as a pearl white. I guess since I have to start it again I may give it a try.

MrMogwai likes this.
  5. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    Also thought about doing a pearlescent paint job. And another one, which may be quite difficult to pull off, would love to get a chrome mirror shine machine, with matte/semimatte accents on plastics, and all AlienFX set to red. A lovely tribute to Battlestar Galactica's Cylon Centurions :)

6. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    One more extreme idea was to make a case job with reflective paint, same powder stuff they use in road contstruction or protective clothing. another fling would be to make a fluorescent purple or fluorescent lime one. Some UV paint.

To be honest, I must say that Alienware kinda lost it's touch when it comes to design. It's as if Apple got it's grubby mittens on Alienware design, they look... Hm, candylike, safe, typical, well... Star Trek reboot like. The M15x/M17x were the most 'out there' design, most, 'different'; The very Ranger I love for the specs and possibilities is already tainted by this sleek future-like design, rather that truly alternative style, and after that to me it went downhill. And I know they are probably bound by the Recycling Act, where every gram counts, but going extremely light-weight and mostly plasticky IMHO made them lose spirit. M15x, the teenhood fantasy I've turned into my job machine, has this sort of an 'oomph' to it, the feel to it, I know it ain't a Threadripper/RTX 2080 SLI machine, but dammit there ain't no machine cooler than this one.

And the vagoogoo designs for new Aurora series desktops ain't helping their case either ;) The old ones were a lot more, well, monolithic, aggresive, but not as cheesy as other gaming brands. They've had something to them.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    Maxware79 likes this.
  7. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I completely agree. The 2009-2012 machines were the pinnacle of laptop design, in my opinion. I would have preferred if they didn't use the Soft touch material on the M17x R3/R4 lid though. It ruins my ability to respray.

8. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    Exactly. Also the soft touch gets scratches simply from looking at it, either sand off everything or have a post-apo looking machine.

9. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    https://ibb.co/w6549yZ
    https://ibb.co/TMXRVcc
    The results on the M15XR2 so far. Still a lot of imperfections that I need to polish, a friend of mine said that my fascination with TARDIS blue is something you have to live with, but hey, I love it :)

ssj92 and MagicMike like this.
  10. MagicMike

MagicMike Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looks great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.