Deal of the year!

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by Maxware79, Jan 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrMogwai

MrMogwai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How is the project going? Or should we all prepare for mourning? :D

Inspired by your projects I have undertaken my own, hopefully this week I will have some time to assemble, M15XR2 with colour tones of metallic/diamond/glitter aquamarine and all the plastic parts (bottom cover, battery, palmrest, and so on) with metallic spray rubber. So far it wasn't an easy job (no chemical I've tried bites the paint off the machine, by testing ortophosporous acid aluminium started bubbling but the paint stayed where it was), and it's got plenty of imperfections, but I'm hopeful.

Care to share any tips? How to get a glossy finish? Mine will probably end a little rough, but I've got a few more M15XR2 cases to work with :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    MagicMike likes this.
  2. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Got bad news today. I took the board and a new power jack into a repair guy last week and today he said that he soldered the new jack in but when he tested the board there was a short somewhere. He tried a few times but it kept shorting out. Looks like I have to buy a new board and hope that everything works when I throw it in the machine.
    It was about $95AUD for a new board but I thought the guy would be able to put the new jack in so I went with that option. Now I’m down $60 and still have to buy the new board. Not sure what to do now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. MagicMike

MagicMike Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear that man, I once gave my old 6990M to a repair shop and they fried it. Must have gone gung ho with the hot air soldering station...I got a dodo back...never again!

The only half decent thing was they didn't charge me for attempting repair, did they charge you?

What you could do is visually inspect the quality of their soldering job, they may have bridged some pins and that's what's causing the short?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  4. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah he’s going to charge me $50.

He said he was worried he may have bridged the pins so he removed the jack and started again and even put it under the microscope to double check. It was still shorting out.
    The previous owner said it was working fine until the jack was broken but you never really know. I’ll have to take a gamble on an Aliexpress board and hope for the best.

5. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I won’t start respraying it until I know it’s all working. I’ll probably go gloss white or matte black.

6. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Make sure you prep the old surface well. I’ve been having issues with an M18x I’ve been working on. When I get to the clear coat stage it keeps breaking out in orange peel cracking in one particular spot. I’m assuming I didn’t prep before the base coat properly. I’ll have to strip it down to the original coat for the second time and start again. I’ve bought some grease and wax remover this time to make sure the original anodised aluminum is clean before the primer goes on.
    I use a gloss white plus gloss clear coat but it really needs a heavy coat of clear at the end to get a strong gloss finish. Keeping trash out of it during the process is hard. Lots of wet sanding with 2000 grit paper needed.

MrMogwai likes this.
  7. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    Good to know. For polishing I've been using very fine steel wool. but for this undertaking I will take whatever I can get. Need to get a proper professional kiddie tent to make an overpressure chamber to get dust away, but unfortunately spare time is limited.

Maxware79 likes this.
  8. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah it would be nice to have a better setup to keep the area free from crap in the air. I've been using a beach sun tent but it's not quite up for the task. I was doodling some plans yesterday for a small spray booth/box.
    What are your plans for that M18x R2 in your signature?

9. MrMogwai

Reputations:
    For now? Getting it to run, currently waiting for the eeprom flasher, should be here any hour now. As soon as the problems are fixed, I dunno, I'm split between hydrographics (some sort of carbon fiber pattern or something), RAPTOR Coating paint (the colour may vary) and, since I'm a sucker for the '80s, wicked green lemon of a Lamborghini Diablo :) It will look a lot faster :D Another silly idea came to me when visiting a supermarket I saw a stone/granite effect paint, and since it weights around 5-6kg without all the parts it would be quite fitting :) A friend of my coined a nickname for my M15xR2 - ODRA, after Polish computers from the sixties-seventies, being the size of a large wardrobe, and operated on punchcards :) I do believe it is quite fitting, since my 'office' bag weights now, with spare battery, PSU, external keyboard, trackball, cooling stand, extension cord and so on, around 15kg :)

For now don't have much scratch lying around to buy some hardware to fully outfit it (except for a bit outdated parts taken from other machines). BUT - now that you mentioned it, I've got a GTX 1080 MXM bought for around 40 bucks a while back, it's been clearly reballed, it's brown with flux, have no idea if it works, but we'll see. If it works,

Today I've done some digging in my attic, found two busted to pieces Xbox 360 from times I used to mod those, hoping to find x-clamps - no luck, but they had pretty decent fans, four fans in total with a simple steering switch and a vacuum cleaner filter blowing inside should create a decent airflow to keep dust away.

Got around seven and a half months to wrap up all the projects, because after that, to quote Beetlejuice: The Musical, I will be 'trapped in a terrifying viper pit of diapers and regrets' :D

MagicMike likes this.
  10. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You probably won't have much luck with the 1080 as the die is usually in the wrong place and it's too power hungry for the MXM slot. Worth a shot for a $40 card though!

No regrets with a pit of diapers. You'll soon forget what a good nights sleep felt like.

MagicMike likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.