Dead 980m and either cpu/mobo ideas? Precision M6700

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hertzian56, Oct 30, 2020.

1. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi I've posted about this in a couple other places with not much feedback thought I'd try here.
    1. Was playing a game and the laptop m6700 just cut out.
    2. Got some visual codes of I think the volume bezel buttons and the power button lights all flashing continuously once I plugged it in again. Suspected the 980m.
    3. Took out the 980m, looks like it had some resistors go out. I've not opened this thing for almost a year so I don't think it was no contact to the thermal pads, has worked fine.
    4. Rebooted and it started up but the dates were from 2018 but it ran fine.
    5. Mistake 1, took it apart again to look at it, put it back together. Upon bootup the gpu fan whizzed then I smelled some burnt, oh ship.
    6. Upon trying to get it open, I noticed the sound of a stray screw inside the case, in my haste I must have dropped one or one got lodged in there while I was operating and had the bottom open.
    7. Boot up, only thing that would turn on is the caps lock little light indicator. The power adapter light would go off and wouldn't come back on until I unplugged. It works fine with my lower end m4600.
    8. Today I totally tore it down including io board and cpu, cpu looks immaculate, I can't find any indication of a burnout on the top of the mobo, I didn't take it all the way out to check the bottom though. I cleaned whatever looked dirty with alcohol, repasted, back together. Nothing, not even the caps lock indicator light goes on anymore. Power adapter little ring light goes off when I plug it into the laptop.
    9. So it's either the mobo or cpu I can't think of what else would cause that. I don't have any other similar lying around, not even my m4600 cpu would work since it's the previous generation and I can't risk it anyways it's the only other computer I have and I'm not at home for a while.

10. Does anybody have any experience or ideas as to what's next as far as trying to fix it or diagnose it? I don't have access to any special tools.

-I can't even find a mobo for sale for this model atm, cpu I probably could but is it worth it? I've got everything for this exact model so it might be better to get the cheapest working one on ebay and move the superior parts over right? That would be $500 bucks cheaper than a new equivalent gaming laptop say 1060/70 even with getting another 980/970m.

Attached Files:

• cpu.jpg
      cpu.jpg
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
    • gpu.jpg
      gpu.jpg
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    • ls.jpg
      ls.jpg
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    • ur.jpg
      ur.jpg
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    • 980m.jpg
      980m.jpg
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
  2. hertzian56

Reputations:
    As an update I tore down, took out the 980m again and started up, the power adapter light stays on now but the power button etc lights don't come on. The GPU fan runs for a few seconds then stops then sometimes get a buzzing/whine from what I think is the area where the gpu was, all in a loop. I put the gpu heatsink back in and covered all the surfaces where their was gpu contact, with electrical tape. I don't have another gpu to put in there. CPU fan doesn't come on. Sometimes the caps lock light comes on though.

3. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  4. hertzian56

Reputations:
    LOL yeah this forum is more about opinions now than real help, when I first came here it was a lot better for this kind of help but of course the older the system the less people own it so less experience to be shared.

At least I can part it out and get almost all what the whole thing eventually cost me back from the cpu alone.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    JRE84 likes this.
  5. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    From my own experience it's very difficult to find the exact issue on those board, they are really complex, I once tried to fix a M4700 motherboard with no sucess, same for M6800 that ended up in a lot of hours and a new chipset (10$) to not be able to fix it, same thing a Latitude 3450... unless it's a burned component or something else that is "very early" in the power chain, you will loose your time (and your mind)

hertzian56 likes this.
  6. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Yeah it's confirmed the gpu burned out since it had some crispy marks around the large resistors but it sucks the whole board or cpu going. I'm assuming the board. But once I sold old parts and got good deals on new used parts, like the 980m, it really didn't cost me more than about 300$ for the things that I can't just move to any other computer like hard drives. If everything else worked would have just thrown in a 970m.

So it's a wash once everything I can part out gets sold, or an appropriately priced barebones m6700 comes up on ebay to move everything over. For what people are asking for them and after buying and installing a lower tier gpu like a 970m it wouldn't be much more for a 1060 laptop and if you look hard and don't mind some defects a 1070 laptop.

7. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    agreed

8. hertzian56

Reputations:
    I'm not complaining that's all I was really asking for was an opinion by someone who has had similar problems before, these things are not too common now anyways. Was looking at a alienware 17 R4 but wow only 2 regular usb ports etc these 17" precisions have 4 and I can mount 3, 2.5 ssd/hdd internally and an msata ssd as well. They are beasts for options/upgrades.

9. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    the ge 62 was similar 3 m.2 one hdd

10. hertzian56

Reputations:
    usb most important for me as I have a few sata ssd's/hdd connect through sata2usb3.