Dad uses Facebook to teach daughter a lesson

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Nick, Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    That's your first error right there! :p J/K I've threatened to do so (although never have or would), and that's enough for him to panic and realize his wrong. But all this "positive reinforcement" crap is out of control. I don't believe in spanking, physical or verbal attack or abuse, but sometimes kids need more than just rewarding bad behavior and two minutes in the corner. They need a lesson to learn cause and effect, responsibility for their actions. Especially when they know better, there's no reason or excuse for it. But to each their own. Every kid is different as is every situation. My two kids are night and day different, even though they're 3 and 4 and exactly a year apart, so I handle them accordingly.

2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I agree. I try to use a carrot AND a stick (figuratively for both)--praise for good behavior and time-outs and other punishment (non-corporal punishment but punishment nevertheless) for bad behavior. While I really believe in positive reinforcement of positive behavior, I don't think that an absence of praise alone is enough of a consequence to teach a child about consequences for bad actions.

3. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    I don't disagree with any of this, except the first line. It's demonstrably false.

4. KPot2004

KPot2004 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I honestly don't think a little corporal punishment is necessarily a bad thing. Obviously you don't beat your kids but i just don't see the harm in a spanking. It seems like forever ago, but I went to a catholic school and the nuns would use corporal punishment, hitting kids with a ruler and a in rare cases a spanking. And you know what? Their were very few troublemakers.

The last few generations of Americans grew up with corporal punishment in schools and more then likely at home. Has this whole sit in the corner stuff that has been really big the last 20 or so years worked? Would you say kids today are more well behaved then say the 1950's or even the 1970's? Kids I see today just seem like they have no respect for their parents at all, some of the stuff I hear them say I couldn't repeat hear. I still to this day have not cursed in front of my mom, I'm sure she wouldn't be to upset as I'm 26, but I was just taught that's not the way you talk in front of your parents.

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I feel strongly about the spanking thing, but I also think it's a parent's choice (so long as they're not taking it beyond spanking) so I try not to debate it.

I do think the "things were so much better in the 1950s" is probably rose-colored glasses. The 1950s were a messed-up time with lots of crime and family problems; it's just these things were kept quiet better back then.

Juvenile Delinquency - 1950's Law and Justice

6. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
    You need to post current statistics for the above info to mean anything.

EDIT:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Ichinenjuu

Ichinenjuu Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

-Socrates, 5th century BC

8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Has spanking increased since 1990? Are those even charts of juvenile crime, or crime overall?

My point was that there's no meaningful connection between spanking and crime rates, and that the 1950s were not this wonderous time where everyone obeyed their parents and teachers. I'm not sure how the surge of urban gang violence in the 1980s and the recession away from urban gang violence since then disproves that.

I'm not trying to prove that there was more crime in 1953 then there was today. My point is just that youth weren't all angels then, just like they weren't all angels now.

Edit: Ichinenjuu hit the nail on the head. People ALWAYS are complaining that the kids of yesteryear were better behaved than the kids of today. Always have been, always will be. But it's not true.

9. KPot2004

KPot2004 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree then because I don't necessarily believe that. I do although agree with the fact that the 50's are looked at with rose colored glasses (My grandfather was a police murder detective in the 50's I have heard a lot of stories) Maybe whats considered "bad" behavior has changed? Maybe I was a sheltered child, but growing up few kids talked the way around their parents that I hear kids talk today. Go to any supermarket or any mall and you can hear kids under 10 telling their parents to F off. Seeing that seems crazy to me but like I said maybe I was just a sheltered kid and that's how kids talk to their parents.

10. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
    I'm with KPot. It seems like kids(say 10 y/o) are much ruder in general than any of my friends or I were.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.