Dad uses Facebook to teach daughter a lesson

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Nick, Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Well said MAA83. I don't agree with a lot of what he did based on that video, but as a parent one thing I've learned is not to judge other parents' parenting. I'm sure there's been times when people thought I was cruel, a bit over the top, or opposite, too soft, but it's all a dynamic that's hard to see the big picture.

2. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    This comment supersedes my comments. He did lay his parenting skills out for all to see, but I fully agree with you here.

3. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Well, yeah I don't think I'd ever post something for the world to see though. But whatever. I found it amusing.

4. SemiExpert

SemiExpert Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, a normal, rational, responsible adult human being wouldn't expect another person to pay for damage that they inflicted to the other person's property. Of course, a normal, rational, reasonable adult doesn't act like this. It's pretty clear that every aspect of this man's Youtube video is inappropriate. His response to a teenager's Facebook post was inappropriate. Respect? Based on this infantile and destructive stunt, I don't think that this man could elicit respect from a reasonably intelligent adolescent. He doesn't deserve respect.

But yes, it doesn't make any sense to demand repayment from a third party for destroying an inanimate object, or to expect recompense for the means of destroying that inanimate object.

It's pretty clear that this man doesn't respect gun safety, doesn't respect the notion personnel property and comes across as vindictive. Not a good role model.

5. SemiExpert

SemiExpert Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think it's very appropriate to judge in this case. Would you really want any child to pattern their behavior after this man? In another 20 years, would you want to see one of your kids sitting in a poorly maintained backyard, wearing a cowboy hat, smoking a cigarette, ranting and raving about a teenage, toting a pistol and shooting holes in an inanimate object?

What change does a kid have growing up in a household with a parent like that?

6. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    I'm the first one who posted about this being weak parental behavior, now also seeing it the other way...flip flop flip flop, my head hurts now. :mad:

7. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
    It might not have been the right thing to do, but I lol'd when he pulled the gun out. Also lol'd when gave it a sixth shot for his wife:D

8. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Well if I ever need a YouTube fame boost I know what to do now.

Take one of the kids electronic devices and cut it in half with my Katana and say it was for the sake of parenting.

9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    This. She felt unappreciated, so instead of talking to her dad one-on-one about it, she posted an outrageous-and-over-the-top rant on the internet so that everyone but him could see it.

The father, feeling disrespected, doesn't talk to his daughter one-on-one about it, but instead posts an outrageous-and-over-the-top video on the internet so that everyone but her (who no longer has a computer to access the internet) can see it.

Gosh, I wonder where she learned that sort of theatrical behavior.

To MAA83: I have two boys, ages 5 and 2. Am I a perfect parent, no. But I try to remember that when disciplining them, I'm supposed to still role-model appropriate behavior, not engage in -for-tat behavior with whatever they did wrong. If my kid bites me, I put him on time out or take away a favorite toy; I don't bite him back.

10. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    'Odd' way to teach a lesson to his daughter... He probably shouldn't have resorted to curse words and shooting the laptop (though I admit it was funny), but if I had a spoiled daughter/son, I would have had the same harsh tone when speaking to them. My sister basically did the same thing as this girl (refused to do chores, overall spoiled brat) and ended up getting outside people involved; she made a huge fool of herself. In contrast, I don't understand why that ice cream shop is looking at hiring this man's daughter, especially if his claims are true (I certainly wouldn't hire a girl like that).

Posting that video on Youtube was pretty stupid though. Should have taken to the kid 1:1 at home and not broadcast their issue online. The father should have been more mature than the child.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.