D900F/NP9280 Freezing, Flashing, HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by FlameHaze, Jul 31, 2016.

1. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Or the power draw is too much for the board to handle. Could try ditching some of the ram, dim screen and remove or turn off peripherals.

As for baking; reflowed 7970Ms, 8970Ms and a 260M all with good results. Only thing is that I'm using a temperature-accurate hot air station whereas household ovens are grossly inaccurate when measured; dozens of degrees C above and below the preset value (cookies care less, presumably). The reflow windows starts at 217°C, so set oven to something like 200°C, wait for it to 'ping' and try the card. Failing that, add another 5°C, retry and so on.

2. FlameHaze

FlameHaze Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    the board factory for the lowest model had a 280m(285m is same card basically) and a core i7 920. I have one stick of ram and a W3520(920 equiv) with an SSD and 2 HDD's. Clevo sold the system with a 480m and 990x which pulls alot more power in this config... I have my doubts of a power load issue. Especially since the issue vanishes when the card isn't allowed to downlock.

i also lack an oven

3. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes, that would pretty much rule out a power issue.

Hmm ... borrow one, check the 'free used items' sites or offer to take care of someone's plants and/or cat while they're on vacation? All the non-food use is rubbish; it's all unleaded solder these days and keeping it open for a while would see any lingering fumes quickly dispersed (not much smell anyway). When placing it inside, make sure to have it die-up and add a little weight on top if it, putting a bit of downward force on the bga when it is reflowing.

Might also flash a non-low-clock vbios; the lower voltage used with those clocks may be unstable.

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I think there was a historic issue with that IIRC. Connecting a higher result external monitor would likely force the clocks higher too.

5. FlameHaze

Reputations:
    it's funny actually, if i put the GPU into another laptop it works fine. Maybe it has to due with the D900F's voltage regulation being subpar for the sensitive G92 chip? Lets be honest, G92 was a disaster. in my D901C I have GPU issues as well but it's more random driver crashes and random games or software bug out. So with that said I'm going to get a 680m and hope I'm not wasting my time & money

I previously tried to force performance states but with the D900F if it is switched to battery it would forcibly downclock and also forcing via vbios caused the card to brick.

My best bet right now I guess is going to be trying a different GPU, i just wish i had kept that 280m.

Nice to see you again meaker.

Also the machine now has 24GB of ram and shortly is getting a W3690. I'm maxing that laptop out. It's still a good machine in my honest opinion

6. KY_BULLET

KY_BULLET Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any updates? Interested to see if you got it going or not.

ole!!! likes this.
  7. FlameHaze

Reputations:
    My laptop currently works and I haven't had another issue but I don't often use it. I have yet to change my GPU and CPU but it has the old 220W connection. My D901C, is a 220W with 2 GTX 280m and it runs a Xeon x3380, which should pull more than a single 680m and w3690 so I think I can get away with a 220w, I'm gonna buy a 680m and see what happens.

I should test for issues again and see if it has an issue

8. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    220W should be enough for single GTX 680m, even with that xeon CPU.

9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Unless you go ham on the VBIOS and clock the snot out of then yes.

KY_BULLET likes this.
  10. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    KY_BULLET likes this.