D900F/NP9280 Freezing, Flashing, HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by FlameHaze, Jul 31, 2016.

1. FlameHaze

FlameHaze Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Its tough because I love my D900F and don't want to stop using it. I loved the whole D900 Line and own each laptop made in it. If I got another laptop, it'd likely be an x7200, or the newer p870DM but I don't have that kind of cash :(

2. sirana

sirana Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I know where you're coming from, I also love the heck out of my x7200 and probably spent far too much money and time on upgrading/repairing it, but for me it's worth every penny... :) Let me know what you end up doing with that mainboard.

3. FlameHaze

FlameHaze Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Gonna end up junking my current board and probably contacting RJtech for a lower price. RJ tech has a board for 480$, see if I can't bring them down

4. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    I would try a new GPU first tbh.. Much less cost and more likely the issue!

5. sirana

sirana Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The mainboard is unfortunately pretty much toast...
    I mean there is no harm in trying to insert a 580M or 560M if Flame has one lying around, but chances are they won't boot either (since the card itself seems to boot fine in the other laptop).

FlameHaze likes this.
  6. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Definitely bad board in my opinion as well.

FlameHaze likes this.
  7. FlameHaze

FlameHaze Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Considering my GPU posts in every other laptop but my D900F, I'd say its the motherboard, unless I also got two bad CPUs >.> Unlikely, since one CPU I know worked

Sadly I fear main board is dead. I got eurocom down to 450$(waaaaaay better than 595) but now I gotta budget. I'll update whenever I get a new board. I miss my powerful laptop already

Side question while everyone is here, I want to do the 680m upgrade, and I think I have a 680m from Clevo(4gb) around somewhere. Do I NEED the 100w heatsink and nodded CPU heatsink from eurocom to do this or can I use my 75w 285m heatsink? Physically is should fit with minor copper shims

8. sirana

sirana Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I came from HD6970M's so I definitely needed the heatsink which came with the eurocom upgrade kit (only the gpu heatsink, I didn't install the cpu one as my fans didn't fit it). In your case, if you rearrange the heatpads it should be fine. The 680m is an awesome card, hope you can bring your notebook back to life!

9. FlameHaze

FlameHaze Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Awesome! I'm gonna go for just buying the GPU then since the eurocom upgrade kit is very costly. I assume I should get the 300w Delta/Chicony PSU for the x7200 as well as I only have the 220w FSP psu

EDIT: I am looking at grabbing a GTX 680m branded by PNY for the HP Z1 workstation, its still just an MXM card so are far as I'm concerned, I just remove it from the silly heatsink and then put an x bracket on, and in to the clevo it goes. Maybe flash the clevo vbios first but they are 280$ a pop for the 4GB version(unlike all the 2GB versions I see)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  10. FlameHaze

FlameHaze Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Sorry to bump and bring everyone back but I'm about to cry

I got a second D900F board(Ver 3.0 with the older 220w jack) and a 280M. I put my parts on it and it worked fine for a few minutes. I put it away. Recently I got a battery and then took my 285 and put it back in and then sold the 280m. I had it working for 30 minutes. But i had an awful 5400RPM HDD in it and i was like my D901C is faster. So a few months down the line i bought 24GB of ram and a 240GB ssd and put it together. WOW it's fast, but... the issue is back. Flashing screens and freezing, followed by a blue screen next boot(referencing wdf01000.sys) and some graphical issues... Like the smart person I am i sold the 280m so I can't verify it but i think everyone was right... my 285m probably failed...

Anyone have a GPU i can test with OR anyone willing to take my 285m and try it out and see if they can recreate my issue? Because after getting anew board which already requires me to solder the new v3.1 DC jack on to take the 680m, I'm semi broke. Theres no way i got 2 bad boards in a row with the same issue is there? I've seen only one other post similar to mine but a mainboard fixed his issue... for me it has not and considering i've tried

2 different ssd's, different ram, 2 motherboards, 4 different cpu's, 2 differen't PSU's... and also theres some graphicla issues and if the card is locked to 3d clocks and isn't allowed to downclock the issue goes away... I think my problem is exactly that.... the GPU has an issue

any other input, I'm beyond stressed with this nonsense