D900F/NP9280 Freezing, Flashing, HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by FlameHaze, Jul 31, 2016.

1. FlameHaze

FlameHaze Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, I still use a Clevo D900F as my main laptop

Recently it has begun to freeze prompting a forced restart, it doesn't make any sense to me because it occurs when NOT under load. I can play games non stop, but if I do something as simple as use event viewer or browse files(not even opening them), it'll have an episode. The next odd thing... IT NEVER CRASHES WITH A SECOND MONITOR CONNECTED. Only when using a single monitor... I don't get why this is happening...

I thought it was GPU down clocking causing crashing but when I try to install windows, sometimes it freezes too causing the installation to hang BUT all it does is stop any I/O's, the ...'s keep animating but it never moves percentage wise.

I thought maybe there was a ground loop that the second monitor corrected but leaving my second LCD connected and in windows disabling the display it still crashes.

I thought maybe the CPU was bad, I swapped CPU's but still crashed

Swapped the Ram, no change

Tried a different HDD, no change

Tried the GPU in another laptop, no crash but I didn't test long

I only have the motherboard, and the GPU left to replace and I am just worried I still won't fix it

Going to try reinstalling windows again and seeing if it fixes the issue.

I never noticed it crash on battery but the battery obviously doesn't last long

All crashes so far
    1. Was just on the desktop, suddenly froze with massive artificats(only special case)
    2. Was just changing Skype Options and settings, suddenly, flashing red screen
    3. Was just opening IBT and it froze, nothing else, just froze
    4. Was just starting up
    5. Was installing Riva Tuner Statistics server, all the sudden the text looked like russian, all crazy and stuff, then everything froze, screen went black, required hard restart
    6. Opened the start menu, screen went solid white
    7. Went to a strobing screen while viewing event log

All thermal paste is new
    Memtest86 passes
    Furmark works for half an hour
    IBT succeeds 10 passes maximum
    Prime95 Passes for half an hour
    Vram is Good
    Nothing from CHKdsk
    Tried a known good HDD
    Tried improving X58 northbridge cooling(suspected failure point)

Configuration
    CPU: i7 920(Tested with Xeon W3520)
    Mem: 3x2 GB of Spacer(tested with 3x2gb of ASint known good)
    HDD: OS Intel 520 SSD, storage 2x Seagate ST9500420AS(Tested with Western Digital Scorpio Blue 160GB)
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 285m
    LCD: 1920x1200
    WLAN: Intel 6150
    Bluetooth: Has it
    Camera: 3M Camera
    Battery is good

sounds like a new MB to me [​IMG] I/o errors? Doesn't make sense to me at all

2. sirana

sirana Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Having been through the same recently, I'm 99% sure your GPU is about to die. If the crashes get worse, you might consider baking/reflowing the GPU before buying a new one. In my case it only fixed the problem for a week, but in some cases it can be as long as months.

All you need is an oven not used for cooking food or a heatgun.

It might be a failing motherboard, but it's not likely based on your description.

3. FlameHaze

Reputations:
    Would that cause it to happen with my exact symptoms? It's perfectly fine under load, just suffers when it's not under load. Also it's fine with a second monitor(not down clocking) but suffers on single(down clocking), considering it's fine under load but not at idle(down clocking again) it would point towards GPU but the only two that made me reconsider were these

5. Was installing Riva Tuner Statistics server, all the sudden the text looked like russian, all crazy and stuff, then everything froze, screen went black, required hard restart(i mean it was loading wrong characters, it wasn't artifacting)

and

I thought it was GPU down clocking causing crashing but when I try to install windows, sometimes it freezes too causing the installation to hang BUT all it does is stop any I/O's, the ...'s keep animating but it never moves percentage wise.

I wanted to upgrade from a 285m to the 680m from Eurocom so if it's the GPU i could care less but a motherboard would break the bank. I can buy a 280m(basically the sameish) for 50$ hence i thought maybe trying a new GPU would be best first.

I would reflow it but i don't have anything to do so with yet(otherwise i would have reflowed it :p)

I'm jealous of your x7200

4. sirana

sirana Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A heatgun is like 15$ on amazon!

Yeah, basically if you regularly experience screen artifacts regardless of activity you pretty much know it's the GPU dying. You might want to try to install Windows on some spare space of your drive (partition it) to rule out a driver/software conflict before upgrading/reflowing anything. If you encounter any artifacts on a fresh install with fresh drivers, you know it's time to reflow or upgrade the card altogether. My 680m only lasted 4 years, so I'm jealous of your D900F ;)

5. FlameHaze

Reputations:
    I have mentioned in the OP I'm reinstalling windows to make sure. I am using a entirely different drive to rule anything out. However it doesn't occur regardless of load, it always seems to occur if down clocking is allowed for idle time. If I have the second screen its fine. I can play games for a week straight, no crash. Within an hour of disabling the second monitor, I got it to freeze. When it froze the display driver crashed so I assume that's a sign of the GPU. Also would the strobing crashes be GPU as well? I just wanna make sure cause all of this is so unusual to me, especially since it leaves absolutely no trace :(

You seem to be sure so I'm trying to get myself to feel as sure as you.

I wanna buy an x7200 one day for the extra fun stuff cause its a nice laptop. I have 16:10 vs 16:9 but the SLI and USB 3.0 and stuff just makes me want it more.

sirana likes this.
  6. sirana

sirana Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Could you possibly try a fitting mxm card of a friend? That it reliably doesn't crash during games with 2 screens active is strange, but all symptoms point towards the GPU anyway.

Also did you try forcing P states with nvidia inspector?

While I'm indeed pretty sure it's a dying GPU I may be wrong, so try to rule out a motherboard failure by running a friend's card and try to force the symptoms of your 285m.

7. FlameHaze

Reputations:
    I'll try forcing pstates, my friend only has a 580m, unsupported GPU :(

So far I agree GPU. I'll try and get one to test with. Alternatively I do have a spare laptop with an mxm slot, I could put the 285m in it and see if it also occurs I guess. That laptop has no GPU right now.

8. sirana

sirana Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yup, if you swap the 285 into your second notebook and it artifacts/freezes even once you have the confirmation.

For forcing p states I'd simple open nvidia inspector, show the "over clocking" window, select the lowest p state, click on the button create shortcut on desktop and then simply click the shortcut. This way I reduced the freezes of my 680m initially by forcing idle clocks (freezes came more frequently with higher clocks) until it also froze in 2D environment with idle clocks.

9. FlameHaze

Reputations:
    So I reinstalled windows, installed only my WiFi drivers and the nvidia drivers... It worked for a bit. I recalled it crashing in Skype, so I tried installing Skype, and it froze while setting my settings BUT my mouse isn't frozen. I can move my mouse. The hard drive light is just pulsing once every second, I cannot Ctrl alt delete. Caps lock and num lock still work. I can get windows error sounds if I slam all the keys, but nothing else works. Just the mouse moves(and changes from ankosue to loading icon every now and then), been like this an hour. No BSOD, no change, I can't tell what happened... Keeps making me believe its the motherboard :( cause THAT shouldn't happen from a GPU right?

EDIT: First time ever the event log has traces, a TON of errors, referring to Schannel, event ID 36888 error code 10

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  10. sirana

sirana Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Interesting... that you can still use capslock etc. points out it didn't crash as my notebook crashed when the 680M was dying. Strange either way, but doesn't point towards the GPU if you can reproduce these crashes involving skype reliably. Does your GPU change clocks if you open Skype?

SChannel refers to secure channel... a guy on the microsoft page wrote

Another guy writes
    Of course, both solutions are rather undesireable... you would have to uninstall Skype, maybe Outlook and turn off TLS in the internet options.

On a side note, are you running Windows 7, 8 or 10? If anything else than W7, I would suggest installing w7 as all the drivers of both our x7200 and D900F are optimised for it, might be that a newer driver that windows update automatically downloads in W10 screws with your notebook.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016