D830/M4300 mods, repaste and pads?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by User32, Jan 17, 2019.

1. User32

User32 Toughbook Master Race

Reputations:
    About to buy a M4300 with WUXGA screen, anything I should look out for? How do I repaste it? New thermal pads? Any interesting mods like pinmodding?

2. pitz

pitz Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah don't buy one of those with the Nvidia accelerator. It will fail prematurely, and the class action lawsuit is long over. The D830 with Intel graphics will basically last forever and use dramatically less power. ( = longer battery run time)

I used to have a WUXGA screen in mine, its backlight eventually blew. So I retrofitted a LED backlight into the same screen. But eventually the actual screen failed. So ended up having to throw a lesser WXGA screen on to keep it running from the junk bin. Still runs great.

Only majorly worthwhile "mod" is to throw a T9300 or T9500 into such a machine, and a SSD of course if you don't already have one. They're like $5-$10 on eBay.

Unless its been run recently, it'll probably need a new CR2032 battery with a pre-soldered lead.

Repasting / repadding it is probably a waste of time, especially the re-padding. I've done it, did absolutely nothing. Paste, if you throw a T9300 onto it, you'll be repasting it anyways. The T9300 is significantly better heat-wise than the stock T7500/T7700. The T9300 is so thermally efficient compared to the T7500/T7700 that the fan should relatively uncommonly run.

Pick up a D-Dock at your computer surplus/junk store or basically for a buck or two + shipping off of eBay. Then you can hook it up to DVI supporting external screens.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  3. User32

Reputations:
    I bought the Precision. So just get a T9300 off eBay and don't bother with the X9100? Already have a D-Dock, the seller included one.

Where'd you buy the LED conversion kit?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  4. pitz

pitz Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The X9100 isn't plug and play and would require some sort of overclocking to get the FSB to 1033MHz up from the spec 800Mhz. The T9300 plugs right in with a suitably modern BIOS.

http://lcdparts.net/
    Model number: XB-LED-KIT XB80333LED5420-436
    Price: $79.99 + shipping when I purchased in 2011.

It never really was a good mod though. Yes, it made the WUXGA screen brighter, but the backlighting was extremely uneven. And the mere fact of opening up the screen caused the internals to be contaminated. We're talking about 12 year old hardware here, lol...

5. User32

Reputations:
    Ergo, don't bother with the LED upgrade? Shame, it's a really worthy mod for ThinkPads: https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/thinkpad/led-kit.shtml

6. pitz

pitz Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hmmm, that link's and what it leads to parts-wise is interesting, and those seem to be better parts than I used. I had no dim on mine, the backlight remained turned on whenever the laptop was turned on, and the strip itself was somewhat different. And I had lots of flicker. So maybe those kits work out better. I know I was never terribly happy with the results of my LED retrofit.

7. User32

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried to pinmod a D830 to use a X9100? I can't find anything on Google or here.

8. User32

Reputations:
    Ended up getting a T9300 instead, disabling SpeedStep in the BIOS and renabling it with ThrottleStop so I could use Dual IDA for that sweet 2.7 GHz. Runs super cool too!

9. pitz

pitz Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What exactly is this supposed to do? I just put the T9300 on the board and ran it. Haven't tinkered with any settings, Throttlestop, etc.

10. User32

Reputations:
    Disabling SS in the BIOS and then re-enabling it in ThrottleStop with "Start Dual IDA" checked in settings unlocks 200 MHz of clock speed on the T9300/T9500 CPUs. I'll post a screen later.