1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

D630 won't start up

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by r.bartlett, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r.bartlett

r.bartlett Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guy's

came down this morning to find my D630 won't start,

|No power light or anyother lights and the screen stays blank and no HDD noise can be heard. I held the on/off button down for 20 sec's to force a restart but stiil no joy

swapped the battery for a known good one -same thing

I've searched the Dell support but nothing as yet

MB gone perhaps :-(

Cheers

Richard

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Try taking out and replacing the RAM. Sometimes the contacts oxidize which removal / replacement will fix and, if the BIOS can read the RAM properly then nothing starts.

John

3. r.bartlett

Reputations:
    many thanks for the reply but as nothing happens at all I would have thought the start process would begin then shut down on 'no ram' rather than as mine is -bricked :-(

4. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'm aware that a RAM problem normally causes a few flashing lights. However, computers don't normally terminally die overnight unless subjected to external influences (eg power surge, dropped). Dismantle and reassembly may clear a poor contact somewhere and get it working.

John

5. GKDesigns

GKDesigns Custom User Title

Reputations:
    Sounds not good. How about pulling the battery and trying with charger power only. Also remove any other connections and devices that you can (such as ODD) in the event a bad item is pulling everything down.

GK

6. r.bartlett

Reputations:
    Tried everything but still dead .

Phoned Dell support for assistance and questioned the warranty as some MB's were known to overheat and fail due to the graphics.

He said no warranty (as the Dell website states) but I questioned that and he came back with the fact that the warranty runs out in October this year so an engineer will be coming round my house tomorrow to fix FOC!

I know Dell get a lot of stick but I can't fault them :)

Cheers

Richard

7. Robin24k

Robin24k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The warranty on the motherboard has been extended for an additional year for D620 and D630 with Nvidia graphics. It doesn't show officially, but once the rep is aware of this, they will send out a motherboard without issue.

8. r.bartlett

Reputations:
    That's why I questioned the warranty. However the record shows the start date as 4 October 2007 and as it's a 3 yr warranty the end date should have been Oct 10. However it stated "No warranty with this unit" Which is why he went away and looked into it. Then came back and said their engineer will be out tomorrow (today) to fix it as it is a 3 yr onsite warranty not RTB :)

as an update. I tried it this morning just to see and it started up. However it was going a bit mad and half the keyboard doesn't work. It restarts itself again and again then some fully beeps come up :)

Thanks to all

Richard

9. HT32BSX115

HT32BSX115 Newbie

Reputations:
    Howdy,

Old thread. did you fix it?

I had a similar problem with my XFR D630.

It all of a sudden would not power up at all......... pressing the power button would only cause the power "light" to flash briefly and go out.

Strangely, it now powers up after being off for a few days. battery state or power supply connection didn't seem to make any difference.

I have no warranty either. so the fix is all on me. I can buy a new mobo from ebay I suppose, but I'd like to know if someone else has had this problem.

If it had not started working, my plan was (and still is) to take it apart and re-seat ALL the connections including the CPU to see if a poor connection was causing this.

System: openSUSE 11.3 (x86_64)
    KDE: 4.4.4 (KDE 4.4.4) "release 3"

Vendor: Intel Corporation
    Model: 965 GM
    2D driver: intel

Anyone else with a problem like this?

Cheers,

Rick

10. Robin24k

Robin24k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  11. HT32BSX115

HT32BSX115 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for that.

Mine is the XFR D630 though. An earlier model I suppose. I do have the service manual for it.......... and I've had it apart before to install RAM etc.

It's pretty easy to disassemble & reassemble.

So far, it's restarted normally 5 or 6 times now.

12. Robin24k

Robin24k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  13. HT32BSX115

HT32BSX115 Newbie

Reputations:
  14. r.bartlett

Reputations:
    Yes he did. I was out working but he asked my wife "Does your child like orange juice, this keypads a bit sticky?" turns out the most likely cause was split drink getting inside. The engineer changed the keyboard and did some 'stuff' and it's worked fine since.

Richard

15. HT32BSX115

HT32BSX115 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Richard.

I think my problem may have been a bad ethernet port on a cable/dsl modem at a hotel.

ALL the problems started with that modem connected to the computer. With it disconnected, it hasn't happened again.

I had REALLY strange errors before it started having problems. but it started with the ethernet port becoming disabled/disappeared etc.

It did it whether I was booted up to Winders or Linux. After a while, it wouldn't start at all.

I don't understand how an Ethernet port could affect actual startup except ALL computers have the ability to "wake-up"/"start-up" via the ethernet port!

Although it's disabled on this computer in the bios setup, I suppose it's possible a "problem modem" or ethernet port on a modem/router, etc..... *could* cause a start-up/power-up problem......

I wish I knew more about these type of problems!

That's my story! And I'm sticking to it!!!

I'm glad your's was fixed!

Cheers,

Rick