D620 memory upgrade

Discussion in 'eMachines' started by merlin666, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toaster

Toaster Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    As promised, I am posting our results... remember, the emachines d620 is my sons laptop, and not mine personally.

We upgraded his Emachines D620 from 2gb to a total of 4gb by removing the 2 1gb pc5300 dimms, and replaced them with 2x 2gb dimms for a total of 4GB pc5300 memory. EASY AS PIE. Both dimms are located under the laptop, in the same place - much easier than my Dell D630! where one dimm is under the keyboard.

ANYWAY: After the 4gb upograde, the laptop running Vista does seem a bit zippier, but absolutely not a night and day difference... Was it worth the upgrade? I think so. Today the upgrade costs UNDER $40 (about $38 USD with tax and all)... It was so cheap, I upgraded my Dell D630 too! :)

I think if YOU can get the memory as inexpensively as we did (local Fry's electronics), GO FOR IT.

2. dr.i

dr.i Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i upgraded it today.it boosts my laptops performance significantly.i added a 2GB 800mhz stick.

3. momosgarage

momosgarage Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Any other experiments?

4. Ruffwood

Ruffwood Newbie

Reputations:
    I have just upgraded my emachine D620 with 4 Gigs of Corsair Value select memory 667mhz. Bios recognizes it and so does Vista. I have AMD Athlon 2650e processor 1.60 Ghz. Plug and play everything works fine. Bought memory from Fry's after rebate $25.

5. TWK03

TWK03 Newbie

Reputations:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------I posted this in the "other" upgrade thread...it might better fit here...the RAM part, anyway.

I bought 2x2gig (4 gig) Patriot PC2-6400 CL5 RAM from Fry's Electronics today. The notebook is an eMachines D620-5777 purchased at Best Buy in late December. The RAM I removed is 6400 (800 Mhz) including both the original 1 gig and the second 1 gig I bought last month.

When I attempted to start after installing, the machine would not start, giving an error page that referred to a hardware change. After a second try, and "auto shutdown to avoid hardware damage," I reinstalled the DDR2 2x1gig (2 gig) and after some "software self repair" (it restored some earlier settings, or so it said) the laptop has started and operates normally.

The operating system is Vista Home Basic Service Pack 1. Vista appears to be (it's so referenced on the "system" page) 32 bit. Is there a hardware limit there, or is it just software? Is this a 32 bit machine so it is limited to 3 gig RAM? Will that keep it from taking the Athlon 64 5050e (even though its "stock" processor, the Athlon 2650e is part of the same family)?

I've read this forum, and expected the RAM upgrade to work properly. I also have gotten an Athelon 5050e, which I have not yet installed.

Why did the RAM not work? What can I do to get it to work? What do I need to do to have the processor upgrade work?

6. crazyboy

crazyboy Newbie

Reputations:
    these laptops are highly upgradable providing you dont go over a 45w cpu

mine is running at 2.1ghz x2 with 4 gb ddr 800mhz ram (crucial ram used here )

i think the the max processor is 4050e which is what i have they are discontinued but still available to buy second hand from fleabay where i got mine from

processor = amd athlon x2 4050e 2.1ghz

memory = 3070mb 800mhz ddr2 ram but ive installed 4gb

page file 1039mb used available 5301mb

all this info from dxdiag

batterylife is down to about 1hr 15mins though as its using 30w more than original cpu

and its blindingly fast

hope this helps

7. momosgarage

Reputations:
  8. momosgarage

Reputations:
  9. DCoolio

DCoolio Newbie

Reputations:
    I want to upgrade the RAM on my D620-5777 from 1GB to maybe 3. Since it came stock with only 1GB, I'm pretty sure there's only one slot to put in RAM, so the 3GB is out of the question. Is there a certain type of RAM I need to get for this laptop? And since there's only one slot, how expensive should one stick of 4GB of RAM be compared to 2?

10. Filrond

Filrond Newbie

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.