D620 memory upgrade

Discussion in 'eMachines' started by merlin666, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigHops323

BigHops323 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Don't take anything WEI gives you as serious information. WEI is a joke and is not anything near a benchmark nor does it hold any type of bearing as to actual performance.

2. Toaster

Toaster Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can anyone post pictures of the bottom of the case coming off, showing where the ram is placed?

My son has a Emachine D620 laptop, with 2gb ram, and it seems to be a great laptop for the price. Very impressed. We would like to increase the ram - since that is such a cheap upgrade. So to verify - ONLY 800mhz SO-DIMMs work - Right?

Thanks in advance.

3. jwagonmd

jwagonmd Newbie

Reputations:
    Toaster, how much are you going to upgrade to? When you upgrade let me know you see a difference between 2gb from 3gb or 4gb. Thanks

4. Toaster

Toaster Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    We had intentions of upgrading to 4gb if possible... When we do the upgrade, I'll post our results. (*NOTE: Not sure when we will do the upgrade)

5. bubba77

bubba77 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  6. momosgarage

momosgarage Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Besides doing a BIOS update, I would say some brands don't always jive with certain motherboards. I am using Corsair Value Ram, but they aren't always from the same batch (i.e. my value ram could be better or worse than what you would get now, it a supply and demand thing). I also have an Acer 4420-5239 whcih I installed Kingston PC2-5300 Ram and it aslo sees 4GB. The chipsets between the two board are somewhat similar, so its most likley related to the bios. I also upgraded my OS from Vista Basic to Vista Premium.

7. jwagonmd

jwagonmd Newbie

Reputations:
    I got the 4gb to work, I had bought PNY ram which didnt' work. So I switched to Kingston Ram and it was able to pick up 4gb.

Now I'm trying to decide if the labtop uses all 4gb, I think the max the labtop will read is 2gb.

What do u guys think?

8. BigHops323

BigHops323 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    go to run and type in dxdiag. that will tell you how much ram the computer has access to.

9. S_O_A_P

S_O_A_P Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried this? i was about to buy 2gb 800 mhz ram off new egg for my d620 5777 when i stumbled up on this site. this new ram will raise the total ram to 3gb and i want to make sure that it will work fine, BEcause if it will thats awesome, but if it won't then thats wasted money.

Cheers!

10. qhn

qhn Notebook User

Reputations:
    More Ram is never a waste of money, especially going from 1 to 3

cheers ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.