Cyberpunk 2077 chat thread.

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by krabman, Jun 18, 2018.

1. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    "If you have a dedicated theater in your home (not a “home theater” as the term is commonly used) that can accommodate a huge screen, 8K may make sense. For everyone else, 8K is a waste of money."

my thoughts exactly

2. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm not arguing that it's going to be of much benefit on a notebook or even smaller desktop monitors. I can say without a doubt that for intricate UI elements and general productivity work I can tell the difference between 1080p and 4K on a 15.6" laptop EASILY. It's not even a contest. (I've only used HiDPI displays since my 2014 Razer Blade that used 3200x1800, which replaced a 17.3" 1080p samsung gamer 7)

I'm not so sure I'd be able to perceive a huge difference between 4K @ 15.6" vs like what I have now which is 17" 2560x1600 (essentially 1440p except 16:10). I'd say 1440p would be good enough for me to remove the aliasing mess from 1080p desktop work or intricate UI elements of games. Of course I'm speaking from aging eyes, if I was still 25 with better than 20/20 vision I might have a different answer, lol.

Some people don't care, but I've been using nothing but HiDPI for 6 years now and I'm not going back. Things like font rendering and sharpness of UI elements just look too good to go back.

Prototime likes this.
  3. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm a home theater guy as in had several included a dedicated room in the last couple houses and that doesn't make me an expert but you do learn a few things when you're into something. There is only so much detail that can be resolved by the human eye at a given distance even with what amounts to perfect vision. Nothing can get any of us around that limitation. IMO if you want to see the value of various resolutions at a set distance, look it up, the science is in on this one.

4. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Even 4k per eye isn't enough for perfect vr actually. Its as sharp as a 1080p display in my experience. thats because the screen resolution is spread out over a huge field of view.

Personally this is how i feel is a good sweet spot for screens resolutions. Anything above is getting into diminishing returns.
    15.6 inch - 2560x1440p (2.5k)
    27 inch - 5120x2880p (5k)
    55 inch+ - 8k
    VR - 16k+

hfm and JRE84 like this.
  5. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I have a 49" 4K Sony and we can see the difference between 4K material and 1080p material pretty easily at about 8-9 feet away from it, and we both wear glasses. It's not a HUGE difference mind, but it's noticeable. Things like nature type footage just look more detailed.

EDIT: I remember now that I blind switched back and forth and she easily was able to pick out the 4K one consistently. I'm guessing if we had an 8K 49" panel at that distance we probably wouldn't easily pick out 8K vs 4K.. but I don't have one to test that theory. Just a hunch.

6. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I say 4k for laptops
    8k for projectors and tvs
    And 16k for vr

Anything More is waste...but what will they do in 50 years..32k no doubt

7. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Do you game at all in 4k, and if so, is the difference noticeable enough to be worth it? I've mostly played 1080p and dabbled with 1440p. But with the new graphics cards coming out, I'm trying to figure out whether games would look better if I were to bump up to 4k and dial down some graphics settings, or keep playing at a lower res and crank the the settings up. (Like you, I mostly play single-player games and am fine with 60fps). Would love to hear thoughts on this.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  8. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't game on it at all. Any gaming is probably my wife when she feels like dropping into Fallout 4 on XBox One and playing a little of that.. which is hardly ever. And there's no way that's putting out 4K anything. :)

I did have an Eurocom Tornado F5 (MSI 16L13) w/ i7-7700K and GTX 1080 using 15.6" @ 4K panel. I played quite a few games at 4K on that and it was nice. Not every game was able to be played fluently on it at 4K though so I'd have to scale down quite a few. It was far better than 1080p, most of them I could play at 1440 which was a little better but there was still interpolation. I sold it previous to nvidia implementing integer scaling, might have been a little better at 1080p at that point since it was an interpolated mess to downscale.

Overall I wouldn't have changed anything about it except maybe try to source a 1440p panel, but there was no option for that from hidevolution or eurocom at the time. Only 1080 or 4K, and I wasn't going back to 1080.

EDIT: i wanted to sell it anyway.. it super light for what it was.. but I'm done with 6.5lb notebooks.. this setup I have now is MILES better even though it costs a little more. I don't game on the go, only when I'm home. Actually.. that Eurocom was 3K.. this LG Gram 17 + the eGPU was around $2500-2600... lol .. and now I can easily upgrade to a 3080 without changing anything.. :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    JRE84 and Prototime like this.
  9. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i'm thinking of getting a 3080 egpu for my gs63 8re any recommendations or advice....I heard the egpu 2070 equates to a 1060 native so im wondering if its worth it to go for the 3080

10. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    anyways back on topic...this game is really shaping up coming out soon only let down is it won't look truely next gen....thoughts opinions on this ?