Current state of my M18X R2

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by AaronSV, Apr 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Alienware 18s are junk. M18x R2 is the last great Alienware created

2. FastMover

FastMover Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I agree, I love the chassis from that generation.

has anyone, or can anyone, mod the M18X R2 to accept twin 1080s? or SLI anything above Kepler?

*******NM********** Just saw your signature.

3. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Read around. M18x R2 is easily SLI'd with 980M and performs wonderfully (3dmark11 scores of 17500 or there abouts). I got it to post with a single 1070 in SG/optimus mode. No way to SLI the 1070 or 1080 in here.

FastMover likes this.
  4. AaronSV

AaronSV Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The M18X R2 does everything that I need even if it is an older platform, honestly I feel the newer Alienware laptops are just not as good.
    I have a desktop PC but I always prefer to have a backup should anything go wrong.

Call me silly but I always prefer to keep what I have, make it look good and maxed out until It can't do what I need it to.
    I recently bought one 980M from @Raidriar for a good price, just gotta wait for it to arrive.

Also the Msata port is SATA II right ? Would I notice any slow down using it for the OS or games compared to a SATA III SSD ?

5. FastMover

FastMover Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I agree completely. Although I am a total tech junkie and buy things just because they are new or powerful, I still enjoy holding on to laptops and doing my best to upgrade and max them out. The attempt to prolong technology lifespan and continue to keep it relevant, is a noble endeavor and I always enjoy doing it.

As far as speeds, I am not sure but a quick google search will lead you to your answer.

I actually, really want to build an old M18x. They were cool machines and it would be fun.

6. AaronSV

AaronSV Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Iv seen a few M18x on Ebay UK always wondered why they were cheap until I noticed how old they were.
    I also like period correct tech, for example I have an I7 920 D0 and 2x EVGA GTX 590 3GB hydrop copper 2 waiting to be put to use XD Just unsure what 1366 motherboard was the best at the time besides the Rampage 3 black edition (impossible to find now)

7. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I have parts laying around, namely the hard to find M18x R2 daughterboard, sata cable, and hdd caddy. Also have black or red bases

I have a 256gb Msata SSD that runs sata 2 but really isn’t noticeable difference vs sata 3. I load all my games on it and it works great

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.