Current design fads in laptops that you hate.

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by TSE, Dec 28, 2011.

1. inperfectdarkness

inperfectdarkness Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'll go one further. If USB-C is the future, we should have MORE of them. And ideally at least 3x USB ports on the left side. Nothing like having to fight for space to use my mouse with a clunky USB plug poking out the right side of my laptop...because there was nowhere else to plug it in.

Also, can we PLEASE stop with the 4"+ deep palmrest? It's annoying.

2. FireLantern

FireLantern Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How about making USB C ports power delivery enabled? Like I get that I can't power a 1060 off the usb c port but at least let me charge my laptop trough the damn port. Would save me the hassle of carrying a 2kg brick of a charger to places where I don't need the horsepower of the laptop. I just need a laptop.

Dennismungai and seanwee like this.
  3. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't know if this is "current", but why can we 1) turn off blue hues via Night Light in Windows but still 2) laptop keyboard backlights are a nice cool 6000K:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    Anything RGB. Control panels with preinstalled apps.

hmscott likes this.
  5. raduque

raduque Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My biggest problem is *anything* with a 1366x768 screen. Why is this still a thing? Minimum spec should be at least 1920x1080. Or hell, at least make a *nice* 1366x768 display, with good color repro, vibrancy and good viewing angles. Why are all 1366x768 panels turds?

6. inperfectdarkness

inperfectdarkness Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Why is anything < 1080p...even a thing at all?

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    The sick skinny trend continue, and now rebranded to lure you into thinking the notebooks become even thinner.

[​IMG]
    Updated | Official XPS 13 9300 specifications are at odds with Dell's claim of it being thinner and lighter than its predecessor notebookcheck.net | Jan 30, 2020

Is the XPS 13 9300 thinner and lighter than the XPS 13 7390? Well, Dell seems to think so at least, even though its product listings state otherwise. Confused? So are we.
    Update: Dell has clarified that it has changed how it measures the thickness of its laptops. Accordingly, the XPS 13 9300 is 1 mm thinner than its predecessor.

jclausius and hmscott like this.
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yup, you can't have a stealth gaming laptop when it's putting on a light show. :D

jclausius and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    They have their own way of measuring everything based on what's best for sales. Just like the world's most powerful laptop they sell that isn't. They just make stuff up as they go along and change the rules to fit the situation, and people believe them. I bet they didn't change how they measured the old one.

10. MrMogwai

MrMogwai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Retarded attempts to be a gaming laptop. My father-in-law found himself getting an Acer Nitro laptop with, brace yourselves, 1650M Max-Q with a goddamn red backlight that can't be switched to different, less annoying colour, and once switched off it turns itself on after a reboot.

BGA ********.

Plasticky and, frankly, Freudian design of new Alienwares (Aurora, anyone?) Shoddy casings, woeful attempts to leap away from the true design of <2013 design that was 'the stuff' to Star Trek/Apple-looking-sheyt.

Incredibly limited upgradeability, resorting to even soldered RAM.

Lousy, proprietary drivers for basic stuff, such as some cameras, touchpads, and so on.

Departure from MXM slots...

The fact that eDP doesn't equal eDP. If I want to create a Frankensteins monster of a laptop and plug in an 18" screen into a 13" laptop, let me do it goddammit, there can't be too much difference between one FHD screen to another. And, since I can plug in any FHD screen via VGA/HDMI, why not standardize the eDP and not shackle us to a specific revision of a specific model?

Mr. Fox likes this.