Current design fads in laptops that you hate.

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by TSE, Dec 28, 2011.

1. heretofore

heretofore Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    Plastic is cool, but it needs proper reinforcement. Not like cheap junk MSI uses, where the display hinges failed on my GE63 in less than a year. When I disassembled it, I saw why - MSI put the metal nuts (the things which you screw the hinge screws into) into very thin and flimsy plastic standoffs. And yes, I know that I can buy a top portion of the case with these standoffs from AliExpress or places like these for like $45 but why bother if they use same design and materials?

Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. inperfectdarkness

inperfectdarkness Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've only ever bought their GT series. I don't know that I'd trust lower end.

4. Wes of StarArmy

Wes of StarArmy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Glossy screens are a huge improvement over the ancient-looking matte ones.

Anyway, my list:
    • Tablets with the power button on the middle side where you're likely to accidentally hit it
    • Laptops that are essentially big cellphones and have to be pried open with special tools
    • Laptops where you have to take out the system board to reach the RAM slots
    • Display port out but no HDMI
    • Trackpads that are off to one side of the palmrest
    Also, I don't get why non-touch laptops are still selling, or why we haven't got to a point where all laptops over, say, $400, have backlit keyboards.In the last 5 years laptops haven't really improved much in terms of stats, resulting in PC makers trying to add a bunch of gimmicks to sell their products.

5. jack53

jack53 Samsung ATIV Book 6 Lover!

Reputations:

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    I totally agree with you on your second and third points, but I only want a matte non-touch screen - clearly this is a preference that varies by user. And I have no issue with an off-center trackpad (centered on the keyboard but shifted over because of a numpad).

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. inperfectdarkness

Reputations:
    Matte > Gloss anyday. Gloss only became popular to hide an otherwise horrible screen. No touch screens on laptops. Get a tablet or a yogabook or something. I don't need/want the additional cost.

Agreed about backlit keyboards.

I keep hoping for a roll-up screen intended for use with a laptop. 15" feels very cramped when i switch from my desktop.

alexhawker likes this.
  8. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Improvement? Yes they generally have greater contrast but if I have to position the screen just right to avoid looking at my own face, the sun, or ceiling lights it's a real problem. The reason I didn't switch to Apple some years ago was them removing all matte screen options, probably a good thing given the crap they produce nowadays.

I don't want touch screens as they aren't ergonomic and (almost?*) invariably means a mirror instead of a usable screen (also non-ergonomic). Actually many touchscreens have extra problems with glare due to design and have the touch layer reducing brightness to boot.
    (* think I've seen one laptop with a semi-matte touchscreen)

But I'd not have any problem with glare screens and touchscreens being options if the buyer wants it - no need to force it onto the buyer Apple style.

Mr. Fox and alexhawker like this.
  9. inperfectdarkness

Reputations:
    Agreed. Want the option, just don't force feed it. Like how 4k should always be an OPTION, not just force-feed people 1080p.

10. eth3rton

eth3rton Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If manufacturers are intent on stripping most all ports then they should include a magnetic dock of some sort.

Mr. Fox likes this.