Current design fads in laptops that you hate.

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by TSE, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    3" laptop with good cooling? Clevo P570 stock is running thin, so harry up. ;)
    If we only want to stay on GTX 1080 level performance, that might happen in a few years.

The problem is the XX80 of that time has to be much stronger.

2. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    True. It seems like the power/heat specs of the top end card will always require a similar form factor.

3. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I think the primary factor is fab.

Cooling systems can be scaled up and down to a large extent (especially on desktops, but laptops are diverse as well). However one processor die can only be so large before it becomes economically unpractical to produce. The largest economically practical single-die design multiplied by its thermal density (which can only vary so much due to physical constrains of the semi-conductor material used) gives the heat flow a typical high-end system should be designed for. Notice how server/HPC orientated dies with higher expected margins can be somewhat larger (the 610mm^2 GP100 is the best example among GPUs). This effect will trickle-down to laptops.

Multi-die systems like those AMD has been pushing for (TR/EPYC, Navi) might alleviate the issue, until we scale to the point where the interconnect hits its physical constrains again.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  4. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Agreed, though I'm still of the opinion that the increases in performance will match or exceed how much the cooling can be scaled down in laptops. (Desktops I'm not worried about as much because there are so many options for cooling them)