Current design fads in laptops that you hate.

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by TSE, Dec 28, 2011.

1. inperfectdarkness

inperfectdarkness Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's what I said. Gigabyte (Aorus) and Clevo. And that's sad, especially when I've bought previous editions from other brands--with UHD.

I'm most disappointed with MSI, since I have a 780m with the 3k screen. They even sold a GS60 with a 970m and a 4k screen. So seeing the 1070 w/o any UHD...is just inexplicable. It's backwards progress.

2. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Given the poor reception 4K 970M and 960M machines got, I can't really blame any company that doesn't seem excited about jumping on that train this time around. It's not like those three brands that are offering it are bad, especially Clevo, since you can combine the UHD display, a socketed GPU and a desktop CPU in the same package.

And if you're not in the market now or can make what you have last until next year, I bet Volta is going to make those a thing again on all performance tiers.

3. inperfectdarkness

Reputations:
    I'm not sure why it wouldn't even be an option though, since the cost of put a UHD screen on a laptop is literally peanuts.

p.s.
    That's two brands, not 3. Aorus is merely a glorified Gigabyte. When I shopped for the P35x, the Aorus version was around $400 more, and the only additional "feature" on it was a multicolor backlit keyboard.

4. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:

Point taken, though I consider the designs different enough to compete against each other in the same class. Still amounts to 4 models across, we'll call it 2.5 brands that have this configuration available and one of which is pretty much the highest performing 15" out there (NP9155/P750TM1-G)

5. pvthudson

pvthudson Newbie

Reputations:
    All USB ports on one side or the other
    WiFi on/off switches in locations that make them easy to toggle by accident
    Odd-resolution screens with weird aspect ratios. Shouldn't 1080p be the minimum now?
    BIOS which limits you to changing boot order and time/date
    Bad cooling

Arrrrbol likes this.
  6. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wouldn't say these are current design fads, its been going on for years.

Agree with the exception of aspect ratios. 16:10 is superior to 16:9 in my opinion though there can be a case made for 4:3 too when it comes to productivity. 16:10 though is a nice sweet spot between the two and is the most pleasant to use imo.

Ionising_Radiation and pvthudson like this.
  7. pvthudson

pvthudson Newbie

Reputations:
    Maybe.... I feel like the laptops I got before my most recent purchases had much more robust BIOS settings and didn't suffer from the other issues I listed. I feel like most of the current ones I'm seeing are trying to compete with MacBooks' 'simplicity' at the cost of versatility and convenience. Maybe I got lucky before, but I just love the old Dell Precision laptop my new less-convenient OriginPC replaced.

alexhawker and Arrrrbol like this.
  8. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That is true, everyone is trying to cash in on the Apple cult. I can't stand laptops that are overly minimalist at the expense of functionality, ports, cooling etc. IMO BIOS options depends on what laptop you go for. Generally gaming laptops and workstations have more options there, but they are still not advanced enough for my liking. Proper controls for fans, voltages, overclocking, RAM timings etc would be far more useful. The Apple design fad is to blame for ports being on one side, and yes you are correct that laptops are getting worse for ports. Some of us still have a use for an optical drive too, it would be nice to see some more laptops with one or at least that are sold with an external disc drive in the box.

The Wi-Fi switch issue has been around for years imo. The one complaint I have of my old M17X is that its easy to accidentally touch the Wi-Fi switch when using the numpad.

I agree on cooling even though some old laptops (mainly HPs) had abysmally designed cooling systems. Some old laptops had completely overkill cooling systems, like a Gateway I had about 10 years ago which had a substantial copper heat sink to cool a pretty weak Intel CPU (and no dedicated GPU) and the chipset. It even had a copper plate to cool the hard drive. I think it has got worse in recent years as manufacturers are trying to cram the most power possible into a small space. The Macbook Pro for example - 45W i7 and a dedicated GPU with the most pathetically thin and useless heat sink i have ever seen with barely any ventilation for the fans to intake or expel air. That abomination of a machine is one of the best examples as to why taking thin and light too far is a very bad idea. Not to mention the grand total of zero user serviceable parts it has. I think it has become more acceptable now to run your components at throttling temps, which is a retarded idea.

9. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    I would love for Apple to have less influence on designs in general, but I think consumer expectations need to be massaged a little bit back into realism. A lot of people seem like they're expecting some sort of version of Moore's law in relation to laptop thickness, like by 2022 we're going to be shoving XX80s into iPads or something.

10. inperfectdarkness

Reputations:
    Agreed. I'm tired of it. I'll take a 3" thick laptop if it will have better cooling & a top end GPU. I mean, the thickness of this P35x is nice and all...but this sucker can get insanely hot.

alexhawker likes this.