Current design fads in laptops that you hate.

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by TSE, Dec 28, 2011.

1. inperfectdarkness

inperfectdarkness Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The benefit of a curved display on a giant 30"+ display is not the point of a discussion on LAPTOPS. I stand by my assertion that on a laptop...it's a stupid gimmick.

jaug1337 likes this.
  2. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    I hate soldered WLAN adapters most, at the moment. OK, Intel drops current-gen 802.11ad wireless docking - and what are those few who actually rely on it supposed to do until 802.11ay deployment, which can take years? Use wired docks like it's 2011, or throw money on SAN/NAS? Meh!

Next on the list would be minor cost-cutting by not connecting second PCIe lane to WLAN slot, rendering it unusable for 802.11ad upgrade.

3. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I think it's only on that big Acer, and that's mostly a "look at how much money I have to spend on a laptop, I bet you wish you were as affluent as me" machine. I doubt it will ever make its way to mainstream laptops.

Starlight5 likes this.
  4. avalance

avalance Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Currently i hate a little too much but:
    - Laptops with I/O Ports on the front right side as usually this blocks my mouse (hint to ASUS)
    - Laptops without an SD or microSD CardReader (Hi Razer or Apple or ...)
    - Laptops with buildwise inefficient Airflow or Design Issues (hint to Dellienware Desaster)
    - Laptops with small batteries or without possibility for iGPU usage
    - Laptops with too small or too bad Touchpads
    - Laptops which are nice, but not get sold in the EU or just once end of life
    - Laptops which only have in TopEdge Configuration or next higher Model an acceptable Display
    - Gaminglaptops which look like Toys (MSI really, you´ve did a great job with the GT72 1st Gen)
    - Laptops which get refreshed and castrated upon they bring a pricier version (GT72/73...)
    - Laptops which does not match commercials, replacable MXM (MSI GT72 i should stop or?)
    - Laptop Refreshs (DTR giant ones) which does not offer 2nd/3rd/4ths SSD (MSI hey ...again, oh)
    - in general devices which not offer 2nd/3rd storage option if there is the place available
    - SOLDERED MEMORY on the mainboards is a no go (except: some superthin Ultrabooks)
    - Gaminglaptops which look like toys (guess i hate that at most)
    - "as thin as possible" marketing of the MaxQ Series and pricetagraising GSYNC feature (thanks)

Also a dislike atm are "reviewers" on Youtube which bring out 50 videos a week and had a device 2 days and run 2 benchmarks, but claiming they re so awesome :)

A dream would be an Threadripper Notebook, with nice smart design, disable option the Cores for battery life (as 2 cores should be enough for casual programming / working / consuming content) maybe a FREESYNC display which is IGZO/IPS and has 120Hz ... i dream on

Greetings =)
    aVa

Starlight5 likes this.
  5. inperfectdarkness

Reputations:
    ^

The MSI GT62 3k IPS I have is very nice; not at all like a gaudy toy. (unlike the GX660R). Black aluminum lid with only the "msi" (not the dragon) logo on the lid.

I'd throw in touchpads & palmwrests that are too big. Gigabyte's p35X is insanely huge and annoying.

Ditto on the screens. I"m still pissed that MSI isn't selling 1070gtx's with a 4k screen in a 15" laptop. like WTF?

I second the I/O ports & the stuff on the right side by where the mouse is. Poor design if there ever was one. Equally poor is putting the power jack on the side. And if that absolutely MUST happen--at least have the decency to put an angled plug on the end of the A/C adapter. Actually, ALL A/C adapters should have angled plugs.

6. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    MSI did sell the 1070 GT62VR with a 4K panel when they first came out. I have a feeling it didn't sell well. 4K has no place in a 15" screen, and a 1070 is not enough to power it for competitive gaming. Especially going forward.

7. inperfectdarkness

Reputations:
    Some of us can't stand ****ty 1080p and have been chafing under it's horribleness since the forced downgrade circa 2009.

It's ill-conceived logic like that which as given us a dearth of UHD offerings on 15" laptops. Armchair pundits who think THEY know better than the people who actually use UHD displays. So because someone has the lack of foresight to declare the modern-day display equivalent of "640k ought to be good enough for everybody", those of us who can and do appreciate the advantages of UHD are forced to adapt to a display resolution that was outdated a decade ago.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  8. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:

There are other factors to consider, including performance. When Volta drops and XX60/XX70 GPUs can put out solid 60+FPS at 4K in laptops, you'll see the 15" 4K show back up. Right now a 1070 in a 15" chassis doesn't really seem like it can handle that with any reliability. Also, initial 120Hz panels were all FHD, and at least in gaming, refresh+FPS trumps resolution in terms of what consumers seem to want to buy. I predict next gen GPU laptops will have a wider availability of 4K panels, and it will be nearly universal the GPU gen after that, probably with higher Hz as well. And yes, I understand that there are non-gaming uses for systems with high resolution displays, but in most of those cases it can be done with the 1060 or P4000 that's offered with 15" 4K models already.

alexhawker likes this.
  9. inperfectdarkness

Reputations:
    All I'm saying is that I'd like to have the option. I bought a 3k 15" laptop with a GTX 780m card, and i'm sure it would fall into the same categories you describe...but limitations or not, the advantage over FHD easily justified the UHD screen. Since a 1070 will fit in a 15", and since UHD can be offered on a 15"--there's ZERO reason not to offer the OPTION of both together in a laptop--regardless of any perceptions of limitation or consumer demand.

From my perspective, companies offering different models of 15", one with UHD and another with a 1070 (but none with both) are simply trolling us. And it's unfortunate, because it's how I got stuck with a shoddy Gigabyte. Dell, MSI or even Asus could have had my money instead--but they apparently don't care about those of us in this apparently "niche" market. Apart from Clevo offerings (which my Sager experience turned me off on) there's no other options. It can't possibly be THAT hard to put a UHD screen on your GT62VR. Don't act like it's somehow a great inconvenience, and you'll have to charge a $400 premium for it, if you even offer it at all. UHD should be offered on every 15" laptop--BAR NONE--as an option. And it shouldn't ever cost more than $100 for a UHD upgrade. period.

You laptop manufacturers have been trolling us videophiles for years with your crappy FHD downgrade. I'm sick and tired of it.

Starlight5 likes this.
  10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is true, but you should not be looking at MSI laptop. MSI laptops are designed for Gamers (same as Alienwares and Asus). Just look at all the marketing. It's designed to attract gamers.
    Someone who wants a 4k screen on a 1070 isn't a gamer. They are a production or design engineer or artist or a businessman or woman. They want to do work. And if you want to do work, you want a laptop designed for it. A LIGHT, thin laptop with a very high resolution screen and high battery life.

A desktop 1070 can't push out frames enough to be competitive in any modern game. Sure in games written before 2010, it can, but I think people are forgetting something:
    UHD is FHD with 4x supersampling antialiasing. Remember back when people were using 4xSSAA on games that ran at 120FPS usually at 1920x1080, and then watched the performance completely plummet? That's what you get on a 4k screen. QHD is already 77% more pixel space (77% higher fill rate required) than 1920x1080. 4k is 4x the amount of pixel space...not just 77%.

4k screens on a GAMING laptop will not sell well. And laptops don't have hardware scalers (the best scalers are actually in some 4k TV's) so they can't even downsample 4k to 1080p and keep full quality. Some of those 4k TVs can display 1080p perfectly with no loss in image quality and no interpolation artifacts whatsoever.

With desktops, you can simply choose what monitor to buy and if something doesn't suit you, move to something else.