Current design fads in laptops that you hate.

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by TSE, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Midas Touch

Midas Touch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've spent some time with curved monitors/curve screen (same goes to Samsung Edge) -- it makes me dizzy especially when staring at it for a long period of time (large or small)and I feel like I have a bubble eye too, so curved monitors? It's not for me and I hate them like the plague. No matter how you justify it all depends on the personal preference of the individual.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  2. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:

Haven't tried a smaller versions (and I don't really consider the Samsung Edge curved since it's just at the sides), but I can see them being problematic too. It's just in the middle range of sizes (20"-40" I'd say) that I like them. But to each his own. I'd say they should try a curved and non curved version to see which people like more, but they're probably going to sell like 10 total since it's such an outlier in terms of price/spec. Maybe if a company like ASUS or MSI can give one of their 17" models that option then we'd have a better idea of what the market's actually like. (Though from your response I'm going to predict: very polarized). :)

jaug1337 likes this.
  3. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    A good friend of mine has a giant TV (40"+ I think) in his room and the room isn't that large, but having a large curved display is very nice.

He also has a curved monitor for gaming, but once you go large, going smaller curved... is not the same. So I agree, I also think there's a special size for them to achieve greatness.

4. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:
    The one I had in mind was the Acer X34.

jaug1337 likes this.
  5. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Curved screens are a massive gimmick....I have monitors up to 120", NONE need to be curved and would have no benefit if they were. The only way you get a benefit if it curves around your peripheral vision. Simple.

inperfectdarkness likes this.
  6. inperfectdarkness

inperfectdarkness Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I agree. I'd rather have project Valerie...than a stupid curved screen.

7. jack53

jack53 Lenovo Ideapad Y410 Lover!

Reputations:
    I beg to differ... Curve Screens have their uses. One they look cool. Two if your sitting close & smack in front of it, it does look great and more immersive. The biggest disadvantage is if you have guest and their sitting to the side, then it's no good. I watch a lot of TV by myself in my man cave room, so 60" Samsung 4K Curve is great. When I have company we watch it in the main room on my 75" LG ULTHDTV. Now, if I had to choose only one to use all the time, well then the Curve would lose out.

8. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:

I find it to be somewhat dependent on screen size, user position and panel use. Those 34" ultrawide curved panels are pretty nice, smaller ones seem to benefit less even if a user is sitting right in front of them. . Bigger ones are also nice, but the distance users normally sit from them makes them less useful. And for things like informational displays there's zero point at all.

9. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Oooooooh, look at Mr. Rich here with two big 4K TVs!

Jk. I've got an LG UF850T from 2015, so it's not even that old. I used to have an even older Panasonic 1080p LCD from like 2006, it was one of the first large flat-screen TVs. This new one has quite significant IPS bleed, very noticeable in a dark room. LG's OLED HDR TVs today look sexy as hell...