Current design fads in laptops that you hate.

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by TSE, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Midas Touch

Midas Touch BGA Loving Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've spent some time with curved monitors/curve screen (same goes to Samsung Edge) -- it makes me dizzy especially when staring at it for a long period of time (large or small)and I feel like I have a bubble eye too, so curved monitors? It's not for me and I hate them like the plague. No matter how you justify it all depends on the personal preference of the individual.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  2. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:

Haven't tried a smaller versions (and I don't really consider the Samsung Edge curved since it's just at the sides), but I can see them being problematic too. It's just in the middle range of sizes (20"-40" I'd say) that I like them. But to each his own. I'd say they should try a curved and non curved version to see which people like more, but they're probably going to sell like 10 total since it's such an outlier in terms of price/spec. Maybe if a company like ASUS or MSI can give one of their 17" models that option then we'd have a better idea of what the market's actually like. (Though from your response I'm going to predict: very polarized). :)

jaug1337 likes this.
  3. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    A good friend of mine has a giant TV (40"+ I think) in his room and the room isn't that large, but having a large curved display is very nice.

He also has a curved monitor for gaming, but once you go large, going smaller curved... is not the same. So I agree, I also think there's a special size for them to achieve greatness.

4. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    The one I had in mind was the Acer X34.

jaug1337 likes this.
  5. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Curved screens are a massive gimmick....I have monitors up to 120", NONE need to be curved and would have no benefit if they were. The only way you get a benefit if it curves around your peripheral vision. Simple.

inperfectdarkness likes this.
  6. inperfectdarkness

inperfectdarkness Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I agree. I'd rather have project Valerie...than a stupid curved screen.

7. jack53

jack53 Samsung ATIV Book 6 Lover!

Reputations:
    I beg to differ... Curve Screens have their uses. One they look cool. Two if your sitting close & smack in front of it, it does look great and more immersive. The biggest disadvantage is if you have guest and their sitting to the side, then it's no good. I watch a lot of TV by myself in my man cave room, so 60" Samsung 4K Curve is great. When I have company we watch it in the main room on my 75" LG ULTHDTV. Now, if I had to choose only one to use all the time, well then the Curve would lose out.

8. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:

I find it to be somewhat dependent on screen size, user position and panel use. Those 34" ultrawide curved panels are pretty nice, smaller ones seem to benefit less even if a user is sitting right in front of them. . Bigger ones are also nice, but the distance users normally sit from them makes them less useful. And for things like informational displays there's zero point at all.

9. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Oooooooh, look at Mr. Rich here with two big 4K TVs!

Jk. I've got an LG UF850T from 2015, so it's not even that old. I used to have an even older Panasonic 1080p LCD from like 2006, it was one of the first large flat-screen TVs. This new one has quite significant IPS bleed, very noticeable in a dark room. LG's OLED HDR TVs today look sexy as hell...