Current design fads in laptops that you hate.

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by TSE, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Jarhead

Jarhead Perfectly Sane

Reputations:
    Problem with 7 is that businesses don't buy on a whim insofar as tech goes. Take away a feature they want (VGA in this case, because replacing their equipment is expensive) and they'll simply switch to an OEM who sells what they want.

2. inperfectdarkness

inperfectdarkness Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    VGA remains viable, imho, only because of very old displays & projectors. Eventually those will have to be replaced. Now I get that it will likely require both HDMI and VGA to "ween" corporations off VGA...but that doesn't explain the need for VGA on non-business class laptops, like my P35X.

3. Jarhead

Jarhead Perfectly Sane

Reputations:
    Some people (foolishly) buy consumer-class laptops for business use? IDK

pitz likes this.
  4. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The removal of ports for the sake of 1. thinness, or 2. future compatability? Apple removed all ports except the USB C on their new laptops....as well asus did the same. I have no idea why? 90% of the worlds population using computers still use USB A. as well as HDMI. Now you have to use dongles for everything. I am glad my dell has all ports on it!

5. inperfectdarkness

Reputations:
    LOL @ crapple deciding to not put headphone jacks on anything. Even more LOL at people who think they can drill for them.

p.s.
    Have they not figured out that BT simply cannot compete with conventional audio for sound?

6. WarlockMasterTaste

WarlockMasterTaste Newbie

Reputations:
    Making gaming laptops look like they're the decepticons. Shiny plastic, more displays with minimum 2560x1440p would be nice and not just 4K. Having 16gb ram minimum in ultrabooks would be nice.

I've noticed a lot of windows laptop having way better build than they used to though.

inperfectdarkness likes this.
  7. inperfectdarkness

Reputations:
    ^Agreed. Since most MFG's also make business laptops, how about you give me the option save $100 & go with a no-frills business chassis for my 4k screen & backlit keyboard. Save the fast & furious laptops for people who want to blow more money on ego-stroking.

Jarhead likes this.
  8. smartuy

smartuy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I see no problem with 1080p, although I primarily use a 1366x768 monitor haha.

Also I agree with you, I hate the gaming laptops that feel the need to show off they're for gaming. AHEM ALIENWARE AHEM

9. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Several manufacturers follow a simple design philosophy. Clevo and Gigabyte computers for the most part look like business machines even when they're full of gaming hardware. Alienware is there for people who want to show off, I say let them. There will always be a market for a big flashy expensive version of pretty much everything.

10. inperfectdarkness

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, Gigabyte hasn't quite nailed down where the line is drawn. I would have preferred the keyboard on the Aorus...but I sure as **** wasn't going to pay a $400 premium for it (plus settle for a 3k screen, vice 4k).

Too bad nobody rebrands MSI's. MSI has the best keyboards/sound. A less flashy case would be tits.