Current budget has me at 960M now, how will Pascal change that?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by One of the good guys, Jul 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's definitely not wrong, but what about 3 or 4 years later? The 960M will fall to the 2nd class of GPUs and struggle running most games at "acceptable" settings. Bare minimum is a nuisance, right?

2. ryanev84

ryanev84 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't know.. no one really does...I just about bought that small clevo with 860m.. now I'd guess it will be good for 2 more years...3 might be pushing it.. but in general mid range cards last 3 years. High end 4 years then resolution must be lowered

3. ryanev84

ryanev84 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry to double post but just look at the 6990m or 0ther cards 4 years ago and see if they run new games by checking YouTube

4. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Depends on games you play. I only "just" bought laptops for my boys with 960m. I'm expecting it to last 3-4 years. Previously one had 650m and other some AMD GPU. Was getting more annoying for me to fix their problems than just buy them a new laptop. :p Except for a handful of demanding AAA games at 1080p it should manage just fine.

5. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Sounds like you'll be waiting for 1050

Sent from a 128th Legion Stormtrooper 6P

One of the good guys and TomJGX like this.
  6. ZeneticX

ZeneticX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Maybe you could grab a 980M now? Still able to run most title @ 1080p with decent fps depending on settings and optimization. The 980M is between the desktop 960 and 970, that's still some considerable performance. Unless you want to go for the absolute best I don't see any reason to rule out a 980M now, those Pascal machines are currently overpriced anyway

7. SkidrowSKT

Reputations:
    The thing is, if he can afford a 980M, he can afford a 1060 too. 1060 laptops are priced at the range of a 970M. Why would he get more expensive Maxwell machines if some Pascal are supposedly cheaper?

8. ZeneticX

ZeneticX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I figured that the Maxwell machines would have dropped considerably in prices now that Pascal are released. I don't think dealers are stupid enough to price a previous gen product same as a freshly released product.

and there's always the option for refurbished laptops taking tight budget into consideration

9. SkidrowSKT

Reputations:
    Your statement is 50% right.
    While Maxwell machines will definitely drop in price, some laptops with the flagship maxwell 980M featuring an MXM slot won't drop, simply because they offer a feature barely existent in Pascal laptops.
    But the point I'm wanting to make here is: As long as newer technologies and hardware generations exist, the latest tech will always provide a better performance/$. Simply put, you'll expect a new "performance norm" for a said price. At the moment, GTX 1060 laptops start from 1200$ all the way to 2000$ (depending on extras and features used), while you'll still find laptops with the 980M costing 2000 to 2500$, again depending on the features. GTX1060 however is 20-25% better. This shows how better performance can cost cheaper provided you are swapping to a new generation of GPUs. (The same will apply to Kaby Lake vs Skylake)

One of the good guys likes this.
  10. One of the good guys

One of the good guys Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    But the thing is in the technology world I think they do. My desktop has a i5 4430 in it and I got it for $180 back in April 2014. If I were to buy that same i5 4430 today it would cost $185. Why would anybody spend $185 on a 4th gen 4430 when you can get a 6th gen i5 6400 or 6500 for about the same price (the 6400 is cheaper than the 4430)? I'm not sure.

It makes sense for older technology to drop to make it compete with the new, but that doesn't seem to be the case as much as we'd think.

TomJGX and SkidrowSKT like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.